Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What can I do with PINK? — Parallax Forums

What can I do with PINK?

basicstampedebasicstampede Posts: 214
edited 2006-08-14 16:59 in BASIC Stamp
I've seen the ads for the PINK from Parallax.· What does it do?
I've read the documentation, but still a bit fuzzy on how it all "fits".
Is there a Nuts & Volts article about how to use it·(with working code and hardware)?
What has anyone on this forum done with it?

For example, is this possible? Say I have several Stamps on different part of a building (or across several buildings), a BS2 communicate to another Stamp (give & receive commands for example to turn on/off relay)?

I'm a bit fuzzy on Internet & microcontrollers, so please help me understand what is possible.

Thank you.

Comments

• willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-08-10 17:14
    im not real sure but i beleive with the ability to access the internet you can create a PHP script from the PC to control the microcontroller by interpretting data received from the PINK module, i know there are other ways like FTP but not real positive... this probably doesnt satisfy your "knowledge knowhow" because i like to know everything about it before i invest money lol
  • basicstampedebasicstampede Posts: 214
    edited 2006-08-10 18:10
    What is PHP code?· I just need to understand some of the basics so I can decifer what the manual is even talking about.·
  • Matt BattleMatt Battle Posts: 172
    edited 2006-08-10 18:31
    basicstampede,

This site is all about php and what it does and what you can do with it. http://www.php.net. It also has alot of tutorials to get you started. Hope this sheds some light on PHP.

Matt
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-08-10 18:48
    Matt,
    Does PHP mean Phooey-Help-Phooey? It looks to me like you have to know quite a bit to use it. I can program BasicStamps, but HTML is another huge task that I haven't yet mastered.

I went to the site and cannot begin to find an entry point for understanding the concept. Tremendously about of jargon. I think Wikipedia will be more helpful for most beginners.

Please forgive the sarchasim. I am sure you understand PHP and find the site useful. But it may just be too much for the average beginner.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Matt BattleMatt Battle Posts: 172
    edited 2006-08-10 19:00
    Kramer,

This is true the PHP site is a little daunting to navigate and somewhat scary to someone new to PHP but if PHP is what PINK uses then that site is best informative site on PHP to go to in my opinion.

basicstampede,
    Here is the link to Wikipedia on PHP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP if you want to get an idea of what PHP is about.

-Matt
    edited 2006-08-11 05:50
    huge? www.visual-tutorials.com start you websites

its very simple php is.... just getting the hosting for it is money because geocities doesnt offer it for free. PHP is a language for making website forms and things like that. I once hacked a game and make an entire point system that they never had out of PHP by sending data to it like this

www.site.com/play.php?tank=Kevin&shot=1

the php then played it out and decided what to do with it, the game actually took the script from me for thier own use in the game. you need to learn html before jumping into php because php is a html addon, goto the website i have listed its got videos which worked out great when i started about 7 years ago. have fun!
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-08-12 17:55
    Ah ha.
    I am just beginning to learn HTML [noparse][[/noparse]extreme beginning]. The code looks very similar. Still, it points out where one should begin.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • KB3JJGKB3JJG Posts: 95
    edited 2006-08-12 20:23
    willthiswork, if you have been using php for 7 years surely you should know that php is a server side scripting language, although from your gamedev posts I think that 7 years was a typo, 7 months maybe.·PHP is not an html addon in any sense, it is widely used to output html but calling it an html add on is incorrect. Additionally, you can use php for many things other than html although that is beyone the scope of this thread.

As far as PINK goes, php is not the scripting language you would use with pink as it is serverside, javascript is appropriate as it is interpreted by the browser. Here is a simple snip I came up with a while ago, press a button and the value of nb_01 is displayed.· I have some more I will post up when I get home from the trip I am on.

<html>
    <head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function disp_var()
    {
    alert("<Nb_var01>")
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <form>
    <input type="button" onclick="disp_var()" value="Display Nb_01 Value">
    </form>
    </body>
    </html>
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-08-14 02:44
    The PINK is used for web-enabling your stamp projects. This is generally accomplished via HTML code (embedded webserver)- however you can send/receive UDP packets as well...

You can also have Projects send you emails-

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
    edited 2006-08-14 05:16
    KB i have been doing HTML not php for 7 years, The php has a good site google it its called like php-tutorials.org but im not positive on that,KB my gamedev posts? you mean gamedev.net? i dont think php and c++ have anything to do with each other if you are.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -Learn somthing about everything, and Everthing about somthing-
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2006-08-14 05:18
    I purchased 60 of these units and us them to email me data that they recieve.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • basicstampedebasicstampede Posts: 214
    edited 2006-08-14 16:13
    Ryan, what is UDP?· Sorry, but internet connectivity seems to have so many TLAs (three letter acronyms)...like

MIC KEY M O U S E...(written out of pure frustration...I know they are speaking English, but I don't understand it!)
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-14 16:20
    There are several levels of transfer on the internet. UDP is the lowest level with error control. Each packet is treated independently. There's checking to make sure that the data is received as sent, but packets do not have any inherent order. If you send 2 UDP packets, they are allowed to arrive in any order. TCP is the next level up. It uses UDP to transfer the data, but adds sequencing so the packets are numbered and are guaranteed to be received in order.
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-08-14 16:59
    UDP is more like a postcard- once you drop it in the mail, you never know if it was received or not. TCP is more like a phone call- you ring them up, and if they pick up you can have a conversation- there are advantages to each. I would suggest Google for learning about UDP, TCP, etc.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com