Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
On the hunt for a new Multimeter — Parallax Forums

On the hunt for a new Multimeter

Matt BattleMatt Battle Posts: 172
edited 2006-09-25 05:54 in General Discussion
Hey everybody,

Well, I bought a multimeter about a year ago from Home Depot. I bought one that was on sale not knowing if it was good or not. It has served me well up to now. I am just looking to get a new one that has just a little more functions and more ranges then my old one. So I was wondering what some of the functions and ranges does your multimeter have? Also what is a good price range for a decent one?

-Matt

Comments

• RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2006-08-11 00:41
    That kind of depends on what the one you have now can do and how much you want to spend on a new one.

True RMS AC, capacitance, hFE, and diode check are common upgrades from basic meters. For a little more money you can get them with built in frequency counters. I really like having capacitance measuring.

since I use my meter mostly at my workbench, I bought one more suitable for that rather than portability. It has a nice large display that will stay lit up while its plugged in the wall, but can also run off a 9 volt battery or 6xAA battery pack.
  • Matt BattleMatt Battle Posts: 172
    edited 2006-08-11 00:59
    RDL2004 said...
    That kind of depends on what the one you have now can do and how much you want to spend on a new one.

True RMS AC, capacitance, hFE, and diode check are common upgrades from basic meters. For a little more money you can get them with built in frequency counters. I really like having capacitance measuring.

Hey RDL2004 thanks for your response. There are couple I have looked at and think about buying. The major upgrades I am looking for are True RMS AC, capacitance, hFE, and diode check, and maybe temperature reading. Here are two that I was thinking of buying. From the low end to high end of the list. here and here. Thanks for your input.

Regards,
    Matt
  • Steve AndruesSteve Andrues Posts: 29
    edited 2006-09-25 05:54
    I own, and use, a Fluke 87. It's a solid all-around good meter. You need to decide what features you want, but "creaping-featureism" is making them all the same anyway. In any case it's about .1 kilobuck for the meter.