Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp PLC vs. BS2 for linear actuator? — Parallax Forums

Stamp PLC vs. BS2 for linear actuator?

lein0074lein0074 Posts: 2
edited 2006-08-09 19:01 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I've used BS2 boards before and have an application where I don't know whether I should use BS2 or the stamp PLC. The app is running 4 linear actuators (12 or 24V), which may draw up to ~2.8 A each. Also, they need to be bi-directional, so i need to change directions with a relay with a BS2, but i'm not sure if this is done the same on PLC's. Each actuator must be able to be controlled differently, with ability to change speeds.

Should I stick with just a BS2 board or go with the PLC due to the higher powers needed. i would obviously need another external power supply for the linear actuators as well.
Not sure I want to jump into Java with the javelin yet either, andi don't think i need too.

Thanks

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-09 17:44
    lein0074 -

If this were my project, I go with AT LEAST a BS-2SX, unless current comsumption (of the processor) were an issue. In that case, I'd go with a BS-2P?.

I'd look into using an H-Hridge for my solenoids, and for any higher power needs, I'd either just use MOSFET transistors, or build/buy a small, high amperage/capacity I/O board.

Sounds like an intersting application.

Regards,

Bruice Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • lein0074lein0074 Posts: 2
    edited 2006-08-09 18:43
    thanks for the reply, but I am still wondering what the benefits of using the PLC stamp as opposed to a regular stamp board if I would still have to use mosfets and/or relays
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-09 19:01
    lein0074 -

My best advice at this point is to download the associated PDF for the PLC Stamp, and see if it meets your needs. If it doesn't, shout back.

Regard,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->