Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
looking for vertical angle sensor for BS2 — Parallax Forums

looking for vertical angle sensor for BS2

cyberxcyberx Posts: 4
edited 2006-08-11 11:49 in BASIC Stamp
i need a sensor to know in what my bot angle while climbing on ramp- need at least +-20deg range
and low price of course
thanx

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2006-08-09 12:29
    The Parallax Memsic should do the job very nicely.· I have one and it can measure up to 45 degrees of tilt.

Sid
  • cyberxcyberx Posts: 4
    edited 2006-08-10 07:04
    yee, but it cost 40$ unit, i heard that analog devices gave free sampels -- anyone know about it
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-10 08:19
    cyberx -

Most chip manufacturers will give you a couple of samples. Some are more liberal than others. Maxim/Dallas is quite liberal.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-08-10 09:47
    wow you can get a single chip for free? how come i never heard of this? where can i get a mesmic for free lol, or anychips for free ill take em'
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-10 14:23
    Remember when you get the sample that it will be the surface mount chip on our module which will make connections more difficult.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2006-08-10 16:31
    cyberx, if you would like to see some robotics applications with the Memsic dual-axis accelerometer ($29) check out the Stamps in Class "Mini-Projects" thread sticky-posted in the Stamps in Class forum.· There are several posts on acclerometer basics, and one specifically with a hill-climbing Boe-Bot:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=522967

-Stephanie
    edited 2006-08-11 09:41
    thats the memsic is great i know - i already use it for climbing control in my university.
    the only problem is the price that will be around 40$ inc' shipping (to ISRAEL)
    hi- do u have seller in israel for your products - so i'll be able to save at least the shipping cost ??
  • NateNate Posts: 154
    edited 2006-08-11 10:49
    Cyberx,

If cost is your overriding concern, simply take a pot, mount it sideways/horizontal and hang an arm with a weight off it.· Experiment with the weight and arm until you get it to always hang down (and turn the pot) due to gravity.· Use RC-time to read the pot, and correlate the readings to the angle of the 'bot.

You could also do something similar using a free swinging pendulum, IR source and detector - just measure how far away the pendulum is from the sensor and correlate to angle.

These are not as elegant·as single chip solutions (and sometimes the exposed mechanical parts can be a problem), but they are cheap in materials.

Nate
    edited 2006-08-11 11:49
    Great ideas, Thanx