Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Memory — Parallax Forums

Memory

Lord VaderLord Vader Posts: 24
edited 2006-08-09 17:39 in BASIC Stamp
I just was wondering if there is anyway for a BS2 to use some kind of external memory other than the EEPROM.
I was just curious because I had some ideas that would require more memory and no limits on how often
you can write on it before it goes bad, though thats not as important has more memory.
I was thinking some kind of memory stick or flash drive.

Joshua Terrasas

Comments

• willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-08-09 09:01
    well you probably could comminicate serially to something like the pc, or possibly buy the internet PINK appmod and have it send the data to the pc....
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-08-09 14:14
    Yes, there are "SPI" interfaced external eeproms that work well with the SHIFTOUT/SHIFTIN command. When they wear out, you unplug them and plug in a new one.

There's also a simple interface for SD cards, I understand.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-09 14:44
    Gents -

Excuse me for kind of butting in here. Although the SD card INTERFACE may be no more difficult or demanding than using an external SPI EEPROM, I would say this.

A separate SPI EEPROM of a size appropriate to one's needs, MIGHT cost upwards of $20.00 US with all the necessary components, and etching a small board. Certainly one could do it at a cost far less than that if using a "breadboard" or some similar platform.

A Stamp compatible SD set-up which will access SD, MMC, etc, can cost upwards of $50.00-$70.00 US. I'm NOT suggesting there is any equivalence here, only that the SD-type facility is significantly more money when it comes to initial cost, and rightfully so. An SD interface is far more flexible, and much more easily removable, if that's a consideration.

If you plan to go the SD route, I'd look here first: www.sddatalogger.com

The provider of that product, Terry Hitt (aka "Bean") can always be found right here, daily, on the Parallax Stamp or Parallax SX Lists. I have used it myself, and find it to be a flawless, and cost effective product!

Regards,

Bruce Bates

Post Edited (Bruce Bates) : 8/9/2006 2:49:44 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-08-09 16:38
    Thanks for the link, Bruce, I wanted to recommend 'Bean's solution but didn't have a link. And you are quite correct about the cost.
  • Lord VaderLord Vader Posts: 24
    edited 2006-08-09 17:30
    I like the SD thing. I'll look into that further.

Thanks,
    Joshua Terrasas
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-09 17:39
    Allan -

I'm not speaking here for anyone but myself, but I'd guess over the short term, the prices of many of these SD/MMC/IDE solutions may come down some. My guess is, before the next decade, we'll be doing things like this natively, or for less than $25.00 US, and far more, soup to nuts!

Personally, I envision a commonly used, generalized, auxillary board to do the following for the same (approx) $ 25.00-35.00 US (price NOT adjusted for inflation):

External memory - 1MB (or more)

Bare bones SD/MMC/IDE interface (no media)

32.768 MHz RTC with alarms

Motor control - simple "protected" H-Bridge with DIR/SPEED/OVERLOAD facility

Keypad interface

Truth be known I could do 2/3rds of that now for less than $50.00-60.00 US in (approx) thousand lot quanities, so I don't think I'm too far off the mark! I'm the kind of "nut case" who designs "future circuits" (if you will) and most have come in within a few dollars of my price predications (when adjusted for inflation"). The whole key to it (obviously) is quantity - where's the surprise?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->