Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FInalizing a product — Parallax Forums

FInalizing a product

willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
edited 2006-08-09 20:14 in BASIC Stamp
ive always wondered....once i breadboard on the microcontroller and finalize a product... how do i duplicate it without having a stamp? i look on alot of RC cars and there is no microcontroller to throw commands out so i was just wondering how they do it?

Comments

• Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-08-09 02:47
    There's probably a microcontroller, it just doesn't look like a stamp module.

Also, although the stamp module is often referred to as a microcontroller, only one of the components on the module is the actual microcontroller.

For finalizing your product, you would need to build/create some form of circuit assembly for your desired parts. For instance, you could use a stamp module, an OEM stamp module, or purchase the stamp components for use on a custom circuit board.

Most boards that you see are using components on a board, which is exactly what the stamp modules are.
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2006-08-09 14:04
    Also, in some cases, there is no microcontroller involved. Holtek makes encoders and decoders specifically made for this sort of thing. Using just one pair of them with a transmitter and receiver, you could conceivably have all of the communication you need for simple (forward/backward, left/right) remote control...without ever involving a microcontroller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-08-09 14:11
    Couple of answers.

1. If you're only making one or two of them, you put a BS2 in each one. $50 each, and you're done.

2. If you're making thousands, or millions, of them, you contact Parallax, and design in an "OEM" version of the BS2. This is MUCH less expensive, and I believe they have volume discounts.

3. If that still costs too much, you go the 'native PIC' route (or native SX28 route), and program in PICBasic or SX/Basic. This costs a little more up front for the development system, but is the lowest cost to manufacture.
  • studysessionstudysession Posts: 66
    edited 2006-08-09 19:42
    I am interested in the same thing. I am trying to find how people do their own circuit boards once they have a final product figured out. Are there learning kits for these kinds of boards to finalize a product? Thanks
  • willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-08-09 20:14
    i thought they just designed the circuit so that no electricity goes through,. and when it receives somthing it just goes into a high state allowing it through.l like a photoresistor without any help of a photoresistor kinda.