Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How many RFID Reader modules I can use with a single Basic Stamp? — Parallax Forums

How many RFID Reader modules I can use with a single Basic Stamp?

GotenGoten Posts: 70
edited 2006-08-09 17:25 in BASIC Stamp
How many RFID Reader·modules can I use with a single Basic Stamp?

And Which BS Module can you recommend me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Best Regards from Chile
Goten
www.chilebot.cl

·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-07 15:36
    Hello,

·· In theory you could use 16 if the Enable line was tied low.· One RFID Reader per I/O line and using the Programming Port to get the data out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • GotenGoten Posts: 70
    edited 2006-08-07 20:35
    Could you recommend me a BS module to work with RF.

Kind Regards,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Best Regards from Chile
    Goten
    www.chilebot.cl

·
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-08-07 20:54
    Any of them may work, or none of them may work, you'll have to tell us more about your application.

How many of the readers will be reading at any given moment? How many different tags will they need to recognize? What will the STAMP be doing with the tag data? Will the STAMP be communicating with other devices (like a PC)?

All of this (and probably more) will go into figuring out how much memory you need, and how fast the STAMP needs to be.

If you're only going to have a tag being read by one or two readers at any given moment, and all you're doing is displaying the Tag ID on an LCD (or passing it to a PC), then any of the stamps will work.

On the other hand, if you're planning on a large portion of the readers active at the same time, and need to have the STAMP take different actions based on which one of thousands of tags is presented (based on a lookup table), then things get a bit dicier, and you may need a faster STAMP and/or some external memory.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • GotenGoten Posts: 70
    edited 2006-08-09 16:49
    Thanks for your Answer Jhon,

you were completely right, today i use my bs2 with 2 rfid readers, a latch· and an lcd, without problems.
    but i have some doubts about what could happend if i would like to use 2 more readers and also 1 latch and another lcd.

All the ways·i would like to use the best bs in all the projects.

which one you recommend me, maybe the bs2pe?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Best Regards from Chile
    Goten
    www.chilebot.cl

·
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-08-09 17:25
    You might also want to considder going with an SX. With SX/B (a version of Basic for the SX), I don't know that it's any harder to use than a STAMP. As I've "converted" to using SX chips, I can't answer on an appropriate stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10