Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about motor controllers — Parallax Forums

Question about motor controllers

_Pi_Pi Posts: 3
edited 2006-08-09 18:52 in Robotics
Does the BOE-bot kit have a built in motor controller on the board? And what exactly are the benifits of having a motor controller.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-06 23:35
    The BOE-BOT uses what are called servo motors. These have a simple controller built into the mechanism so that only a periodic (at least every 20ms) pulse is required. The width of the pulse (from 1ms to 2ms for most servos, some servos with a wider range allowed) controls the position of the shaft. The Stamp on the BOE-BOT can easily (with the PULSOUT statement) provide the pulse needed given a number for the shaft position desired. The exact number depends on the particular model Stamp used and the Stamp PBasic Manual has the information and examples for the various Stamp models. The BOE-BOT actually uses continuous rotation servos which use the pulse width to set the direction and speed of the servo rotation rather than position.
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2006-08-06 23:46
    The "Board OF Education" that comes on the BOE-Bot does not have a motor controller on it.

The servos that come in the BOE-Bot kit (like all radio control servos) have a motor controller built into them. Servos only need the two power lines and a signal line.·The microcontroller on the "Board of Eduction" is then programmed to send the proper signal telling the servo to move.

A motor controller will have at least 5 wires attached to it. Two wires will go to the motor. Two will go to the battery. And at least one wire will go to the microcontroller.

The motor controller that is in a servo can be removed and used with other motors that have a low current draw.

A motor controller is selected based on two factors. It must be rated to support the current draw of the motor that it will be used with, and it must work with the type of signal that you want to send it from the microcontroller.

Motors used to drive bigger robots can draw alot of current and motor controllers that can be used with them are usually purchased separately. The HB-25 is a motor controller that used to control a resonably sized motor.29144.gif
  • studysessionstudysession Posts: 66
    edited 2006-08-09 18:09
    Hi - This maybe a dumb question to ask but, Is there a tutorial on making motor controllers for the BOE-BOT or do you have to purchase them? I would like to learn how to make one.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-09 18:33
    studysession -

I suppose the first question that ought to be asked is how much experience have you had with designing any electronic circuitry which involves circuit protection, and low/medium/high current use (depending on your exact needs)?

The second question that ought to be asked is how much time and moeny do you want to spend in this learning process?

If the answer to either is "little", "none" or "a minimal amount", I would suggest you look into purchasing one of the NUMEROUS H-Bridge chips which are available.

What's wrong with the way the BOE-Bot is controlled now?

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • studysessionstudysession Posts: 66
    edited 2006-08-09 18:52
    Answers -
    1> I have only watched people make circuit boards and things from scratch. At work they won't let me until I have more know how. So trying to learn on my own some.
    2> Time & money - I have time. Money I can do this as i can afford it. Little as I go. This is how I learned CNC'ing. Get something here and something there.... Takes a while but I am not a certified machinist with my own CNC Mill.... now want to do circuit boards.... Make my own CNC Lathe and a radio controlled bot with electric motors.

The BOE-BOT I just ordered today. Can't wait til it arrives. Going through the "What is a microcontroller?" Also ordered some of the BS2 programming books from Amazon.

Goal with getting into this is to make my own motor & servo controllers. Want to also know how to control things with my RC radio's. Make my own CNC Kit for my Lathe and maybe even make the one for my mill more expandable. The lathe and mill will control wireless from the computer. Have it input GCode and follow through the steps..... Control the bot with my radio for my RC's.

Thanks