Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp Editor Memory Map — Parallax Forums

Stamp Editor Memory Map

BrianPBrianP Posts: 2
edited 2006-08-06 21:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I have been working on a project using the Basic Stamp Homework Board (BS2 Stamp) as a prototype. The memory map indicated I had used 75% of the available memory. Since this was not going to be the final system I ordered a super carrier board and a BS2E Stamp. I changed the stamp designation in my program from 2 to 2e and downloaded the program into the new processor. I checked the memory map and it showed 75% capacity used with the new processor! The literature said the BS2E had space for 4000 lines? Which I'm no where close. Is there something I'm missing???

Thanks!
Brian

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-06 02:19
    All of the stamps except the BS2 have 7 extra banks of program memory called slots. Each slot holds roughly 2000 lines of program. The variables can be shared between slots by declaring the variables the same in the program in each slot. You don't have to name them the same, but they have to be the same sizes and in the same order. You essentially write a separate program for each slot and use the RUN command to transfer to a new slot. There's an example in the Stamp Manual under the RUN command.

It's rare that Stamp programs are so large that they can't fit into one slot once some simple optimizations are done. Often, use of subroutines makes a huge difference. Sometimes switching to the use of tables, like a state table can help a lot. If you use a lot of menus and other use of strings, that usually divides up nicely into slots with each main menu option fitting in a slot.
  • BrianPBrianP Posts: 2
    edited 2006-08-06 21:37
    Thanks!

I'm storing a lot of text which is being used with the emic text to speech voice synthesizer. I'm moving these files to thier own slot.

Brian