Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using L293D — Parallax Forums

Using L293D

bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
edited 2006-08-05 01:36 in BASIC Stamp
Here is the datasheet: downloads.solarbotics.com/PDF/ST-L293D.pdf. I would like to know if it is possible to use only 1 chip to do the following: control a motor's speed in forward and reverse, turn another motor on and off (1 direction only), and control the brightness of a set of LEDs. I will probably use half of the L293D for controlling the reversable motor, and use PULSOUT on the enable line to change speeds.

What I'd like to know is if it is okay to simply connect the second motor and LED's to ground and then to the 2 leftover output pins, so when the corresponding input pin is HIGH the motor would start running or the lights turn on. Also, could I use PULSOUT on the input line instead of the enable? (since the enable controls both the 2nd motor and lights). Hope this makes sense, any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-05 01:36
    Hello,

·· You can control two motors, but you won't get speed control or direction control relying on the chip alone.· For speed and direction you'll only be able to control one motor and you will still need to PWM the inputs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com