Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Attaching servos directly to stamp — Parallax Forums

Attaching servos directly to stamp

HavoKaneHavoKane Posts: 109
edited 2006-08-03 20:25 in BASIC Stamp
ok, i need some help hooking a couple things up. basicly, im trying to make a simple IR rover without using the BOE. i drew a schematic that illustrates what i have and what i need help with.

schematic.jpeg

edit: IMG isnt showing up, so i added it as an attachment

edit2: fixed the schematic, goin to radio shack now to get the perf board

Post Edited (HavoKane) : 8/3/2006 8:49:11 PM GMT
578 x 399 - 10K

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-03 20:25
    Basically looks good. You need to connect all the negative leads (usually black - like from the battery pack and the servos) together and to the Stamp Vss pin. You need to connect the positive power supply from the battery pack (through an on/off switch) to the Vin pin of the Stamp and to the positive leads (usually red) of the servos. This assumes that the battery pack is a 6V pack. Servos are usually not too happy much above 6V, but check your servo specs ... some may be just fine higher. The Stamp can handle up to 9-12V, but the lower, the better (for heat dissipation reasons). The Vdd pins on the IR sensors can be connected to the Vcc pin of the Stamp which will supply a small amount of regulated 5V (enough for the sensors).

The schematic for the BOE is available online. You might look at it for ideas and "best practices". Parallax has put a two position power switch in the BOE which first supplies power to the Stamp, then to both the Stamp and the servos. They also have a separate regulator that can supply about 1A from a 6V to maybe 9V supply (again, whatever voltage isn't used turns to heat in the regulator).

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 8/3/2006 8:29:16 PM GMT