Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking to start, need help — Parallax Forums

Looking to start, need help

TCTC Posts: 1,019
edited 2006-09-03 07:44 in Propeller 1
Just last night I had a melt down. Here is the story,· http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=599324
·
I would like to start working with the propeller but I don’t know if it would be in the best interest for me. I was thinking of getting the Propeller Demo Board to learn. My question is. Compared to the Basic Stamp, is it allot more complicated to learn to program, or is it about the same? I understand this question I pretty vague, but I would like to know how much of a change was it for you?
·
TC

Comments

• Oliver H. BaileyOliver H. Bailey Posts: 107
    edited 2006-08-03 01:29
    Hi TC,
    The propeller is much more advanced than the BASIC Stamp. You are dealing with the actual silicon and you have 8 microcontrollers plus a task master in the same chip. You can start off simple using a single COG and then use additional COGs as you feel more confident. Download SPIN and the Propeller manual and write & compile a couple programs tomake sure you get a feel for the difference in how the Propeller is programmed compare to PBASIC. I didn't ave any problems but I've been doing this for 30 years so I am not a typical case because I've also been writing software for the past 30 years as well.

Regards,
    Oliver
  • TCTC Posts: 1,019
    edited 2006-08-03 01:56
    Would I need a Propeller to write & compile, or could I practice with out it?
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2006-08-03 02:03
    the IDE will allow you to compile without a propeller, and if you have questions, you know where to post them smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Who says you have to have knowledge to use it?

I've killed a fly with my bare mind.
    edited 2006-08-03 02:05
    Thank you CJ
  • Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2006-08-03 02:39
    TC said...
    My question is. Compared to the Basic Stamp, is it allot more complicated to learn to program, or is it about the same? I understand this question I pretty vague, but I would like to know how much of a change was it for you?

In the issue of Nuts and Volts that just came out, Jon Williams does a nice piece on taking Stepper Motor Controller code in PBASIC and translating it to SPIN. That will give you a good idea of the conceptual differences.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
    See the K107 Serial LCD Controller at
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2006-08-03 03:07
    i would go the route of the propstick... cheaper, but has all the parts needed except a breadboard.
    have done most of the stuff that the demo does with the propstick and a breadboard, just tear out the previous experiment and go to it... i havent had years of bs experence, but it's not been extremely hard, what with the experince and willingness of the forum members to answer questions..( as long as you define the question)
    dan
    edited 2006-08-04 01:06
    Brian,

I will have to wait for Parallax to have it on there site. But thank you.

Sawmiller,

I just ordered the PROPSTICK today, can’t wait for it to come in.

TC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    We all make mistakes when we are young………That’s why paste is edible!
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2006-08-04 22:20
    I have limited exp with both, but i think spin would be the better of the two to learn, it becomes fairly defined of the limitations of any Stamp when you try and do any kind of multi-proccessing since all stamps are "serial" proccesors. The creativity of the prop can allow you to make your own video game, give realtime data on multiple sensors, lol, when mine comes in, after the first few "hello world" projects, i'm going to design my own fuel injection system that has VGA/VIDEO staus screen and datalogging for my turbo'd pickup.

I find either is a good stress reliever, and great for toolin around with, but i'd pick the Propeller over ANY stamp anyday!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
  • FynchFynch Posts: 8
    edited 2006-08-05 00:05
    As they develop more processors in the series and expand their capabilities, I think SPIN would be more compatible between modules. But assembly will generally be faster. Just my $.02.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Other forums I frequent: Briel Computers: brielcomputers.com/forums
    Applefritter: applefritter.com
    edited 2006-08-05 02:06
    I have been reading the Propeller manual. And I have to say, from what I have read so far, it does not seam to be that bad. You all will get to know me. I could be asking a lot of questions. But I have to wait for my PropStick to come. And start learning.

TC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • johnnyairplanejohnnyairplane Posts: 25
    edited 2006-08-05 16:37
    TC,
    I'd say just jump right in and get your feet wet with SPIN! I've had my hands on the BS1, BS2 (like the best) and I've done quite a bit with the SX chip, these are all 'top down' traditional BASIC chips, each one has their own 'nuances', the wave of the future is here, it's OOP (Object Oriented Programming), I've been programming for 25 years now, COBOL, FORTRAN, PASCAL, you name it, I've programmed in it, sure basic is easy, yet I feel that more and more I need to spend less time trying to figure out the nuances of the language and spend more and more time getting the product from the mind blackboard to the prototyping blackboard to a finished product, with 'objects', objects can be written, saved and used in other projects without the need to re-write everything!

The Propeller development board is a great place to start! - it gives you video and VGA outputs, a mic input and a bunch of little flashy thingies that go beep in the NIGHT! - WOW Parallax, nice job!

John
    I put the fun in dysfunctional....
    edited 2006-08-05 22:38
    John:
    ·
    Thanks for your reply. I decided to go with the PropStick. I figured if I do something wrong and blow the Propeller chip, I would only have to spend $25 compared to $99. Also I don’t ever think I would use the VGA, keyboard, mouse, mic, audio, or video output. I am in to things that flash. I have a project on my mind blackboard where the propeller would do moving pictures on a VFD display. But that is just one idea, more will come

TC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • linuxgeeklinuxgeek Posts: 45
    edited 2006-09-03 07:44
    johnnyairplane said...
    The Propeller development board is a great place to start! - it gives you video and VGA outputs, a mic input and a bunch of little flashy thingies that go beep in the NIGHT! - WOW Parallax, nice job!

I have been wanting to build a robot ever since I was in high school. Now (about 30 years later), components are finally down in the reasonable price range where I can actuallly afford to work with this great stuff. I've had electronics ever since I was in high school, and a year of vocational education also plus have programmed in at least 6 different computer languages. I wrote a mouse in maze simulator in APL when I was just out of high school.

I've looked at all the various microcontrolllers in the stamp family and the only one that really interested me is the Javelin Stamp. I don't care for programming in any dialect of BASIC or BASIC like language. I did not even ralize what the Propeller was until one day when I was bored I started looking at other chips, including the SX. I will eventually get a board with a Javelin Stamp also, but right now I want to focus all my energies on learning SPIN and using the Propeller for robotic control.

After reading about the Propeller and finding a couple articles on it, I knew it is the microcontroller for controlling my robot - an Octapod with a wheeled base to rolll on for speed and legs to walk on when it needs to climb or go through difficult terrain. I've ordered a PRC kit, a robot base kit (Octapod II by Budget Electronics), and its first sensor (an IRPD for object avoidence - electronic bumper).

The Propeller will be the heart of this robot as well as other Octapods I will eventually build (a round one and a long one similar to a hexapod). I don't think I have ever been so excited about electronics, programming, etc, and I am even learning about all the mechanical stuff I will have to do.

I am just getting into the part of the Propeller manual where it is talking about the SPIN language. I am all for object oriented programming like SPIN and Java. Kudos to Parallax for going out on a limb to provide something new and different for microcontrollers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I can handle complexity.. It's the SIMPLE things that confound me.
    The Dynaplex Network - Home of The Octabot Project
    http://www.thedynaplex.org