Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Encoder/Decoder for RF data communication... — Parallax Forums

Encoder/Decoder for RF data communication...

Matt WhiteMatt White Posts: 60
edited 2006-08-04 17:57 in General Discussion
Can anyone recommend endcoder/decoder IC's for RF data communication?·

I'm using·the TLS/RLS·434Mhz transmitter and receiver from sparkfun electronics.·I've seen quite a few encoders and decoders used to control switches or relays.· However, I'm looking to reliably transmit serial data at 2400 baud to Bean's Video OSD module.· The RLS 434Mhz receiver·outputs·non-inverted serial data at 2400 baud.· Which I want to send·through a decoder into the 2400 baud input of the Video OSD·module... which would in turn display my data on a TV screen (also displaying output from a camera module mounted on my bot).

My main goal here·is not to use one of my BASIC Stamps to process data·on the receivers end (or else I'd just do something like 'SERIN Pin, Baud, [noparse][[/noparse]WAIT("!SC"), ....]' and read a predefined number of bytes for my data packet).·
I'd like to send data from the RLS receiver to the decoder and directly into the Video OSD module.

Datasheets found here:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=872
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=750

Let me know what you guys think...

Thanks!
Matt

Comments

• Matt WhiteMatt White Posts: 60
    edited 2006-08-04 15:53
    Okay I've searched all over and came to the realization a decoder isn't the right chip for this job... and it seems to be a task well suited for a microcontroller anyway. I ended up using one of my BS2p24's between the reciever and video OSD module and with very little code everything seems to be working well. I might end up ordering a BS1 for the final circuit to free up my BS2 as it will likely never get used for anything else...

Matt
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-08-04 17:57
    The OEM BS2 kit is still on sale for about the same price as the BS1.