Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DHCP and E-mail: PINK behind a router — Parallax Forums

DHCP and E-mail: PINK behind a router

MarcelMarcel Posts: 32
edited 2006-12-07 18:01 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

Network
My network is a simple network. A·router is connected to a switch and on that switch·the computers and the PINK are connected. The router is on the outsite connected to the internet.

DHCP
When I try to activate the DHCP option on the PINK the router does not supply an IP address and·I can't see the PINK in the DHCP client table.

I gave the PINK·a static IP and that does work but that is not my intended use. However a websites IP·that everytime changes isn't a·good solution.·lol.gif

Email
I tried to send an email with the PINK. I set the variables to the appropriate settings. I put a DNS IP in the DNS field to resolve the SMTP server name which I tend to use. After sending the mail register Nb_varST has the value: 01. It should be 11 when succeeded.

Router
I read somewhere (can't find it anymore) that the PINK cannot operate behind a router because it cannot router.

Question
What·experiences do·other users have with DHCP and E-mail on the PINK behind a router.

Regards,

Marcel

Comments

• Peter VerkaikPeter Verkaik Posts: 3,956
    edited 2006-08-02 20:48
    See this thread:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=571022
    I think the documntation is still not updated regarding status bits
    and sendEmail command.

regards peter
  • MarcelMarcel Posts: 32
    edited 2006-08-02 22:03
    Thanks Peter for the tons of information. I downloaded your udp tool and will test some things tomorrow.

The documentation for the PINK has a small footprint and has to be spelled when using the board.

What I like to know is do you use a firewall, switch and a router with the PINK? And if yes can you email to an external smtp mailhost? I couldn't not read it anywhere in the threads.

Regards,

Marcel
    edited 2006-08-02 22:34
    Some other threads:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=556951
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=557363
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=556725
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=590914

Yes, I can send email. It is important that the From field holds a valid email address
    (for my smtp server anyway) or it may be rejected.

regards peter
    edited 2006-08-03 11:42
    Peter,

That's a lot of information and of great value. I played·with the Forums search filters and now a lot more info shows up about the pink, udp, outside internet access, etc. The information in the links is almost insiders and expert information.

I'll suggest that Parallax opens a new Forum about the PINK·so that all information is concentrated on one location and make them stick on top.

Happy PINKING, I've a lot to do this evening.

Regards,

Marcel
    edited 2006-08-03 19:10
    Ok, I got DHCP working finally. I walked into my own havy secured router setup trap. I use·MAC-address filtering. I saw the white label on the PINK and that got me thinking. This PINK wasn't accepted by the router because the MAC-address was unknown.

I·disabled MAC-address filtering, started the router.·Powered up the·PINK with the quad 0.0.0.0. ip's. Now the PINK got and IP from the DHCP server in the router. I added the MAC-address and activated the filtering again.

Put this on the problem search checlist if you embed the PINK into a network with a router and DHCP·doesn't work.

Up to the email part ...

Regards,

Marcel

Post Edited (Marcel) : 8/4/2006 12:12:40 AM GMT
    edited 2006-08-03 20:53
    Hi,

I got·the email working!

I have·an addition to the above information. Because all my computers and the·PINK is connected to a switch and the switch to the router I could talk to the PINK but the email didn't work. Now I solved the MAC-address problem and the email also does work. That was·related.

I·added a virtual server as I read elsewhere in this forum and I·tested it·by·my Netilla Secure Gateway. I can access the PINK from the outside.

IMHO I prefer a static IP address outside the DHCP range of my router when I use a virtual server. The problem is when an IP shift might occur (DHCP)another pc can come in the range or IP address of the virtual server. It is theoretical possible....

Next the UDP... tomorrow.

Regards,

Marcel

Nu is het tijd voor een Grolsch Lente Bok....

UPDATE: I could not have done this so fast without the posts of: Peter Verkaik, John R., Ryan Clarke (Parallax), Tracy Allen, stamptrol, Craig N.
    Thanks Boys jumpin.gif

Post Edited (Marcel) : 8/3/2006 9:10:30 PM GMT
  • Data77Data77 Posts: 7
    edited 2006-12-06 21:32
    Marcel,
    Glad to see you have email up and working.· I am having trouble.· Here is my subroutine to call email:

··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WET:MyUsername1@comcast.net",CLS]
    ··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WEF:MyUsername2@comcast",CLS]
    ··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WES:This is a test",CLS]
    ··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WEC:Test.txt",CLS]
    ··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WEV:smtp.comcast.net",CLS]
    ··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0SM!X"]

I am able to send email from my computer and from my security camera (no login to comcast).· Is my code wrong or something missing?

Any thoughts.
    edited 2006-12-06 21:59
    Data77 said...
    Marcel,
    Glad to see you have email up and working.· I am having trouble.· Here is my subroutine to call email:

··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WET:MyUsername1@comcast.net",CLS]
    ··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WEF:MyUsername2@comcast",CLS]
    ··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WES:This is a test",CLS]
    ··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WEC:Test.txt",CLS]
    ··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WEV:smtp.comcast.net",CLS]
    ··SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0SM!X"]

I am able to send email from my computer and from my security camera (no login to comcast).· Is my code wrong or something missing?

Any thoughts.
    Look at·the changes.
    SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WET:MyUsername1@comcast.net",CLS] 
    SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WEF:MyUsername2@comcast[color=red].net[/color]",CLS] 
    SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WES:This is a test",CLS] 
    SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WEC:Test.txt",CLS] 
    SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0WEV:smtp.comcast.net",CLS]

SerOut Pic2PC,T2400,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0SM"]

1. What is the ,[noparse][[/noparse]"!NB0SM!X"] I do'n't know what !X is.
    2. What I can remember is that the sending to and from addresses must be real addresses.
    3. I saw that .net was missing.
    4. Test.txt must be filled with some text and uploaded to the PINK ftp folder.

Success!
    edited 2006-12-06 22:04
    The !X appended to the SM command forces a Missformed Message Error.
    Without the !X any next command will fail. The !X is therefor to assure
    the next command will work.

regards peter
    edited 2006-12-07 17:36
    Peter,

Thanks for the info. Is there a new firmware flash for the PINK/SB70 for this command or is it this command found by coincident?

Hmm, I should look for new PINK documentation I think.

Kind Regards,

Marcel

Post Edited (Marcel) : 12/7/2006 5:41:23 PM GMT
    edited 2006-12-07 17:51
    The command for sending email is without the !X
    but then the next command issues the error.
    The quickest way to resolve that is to force the error, hence !X
    which is an invalid command. Any invalid command would do,
    but !X seemed appropiate.
    Check the links I provided in a post above.
    There is a telnet session that explains how I found out about this error.

regards peter
    edited 2006-12-07 18:01
    I'll check it! Thanks Peter. turn.gif