Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
using phase lock multiplier with _CLKMODE locks up my propstick & RS232 serial — Parallax Forums

using phase lock multiplier with _CLKMODE locks up my propstick & RS232 serial

Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
edited 2006-08-01 19:03 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I'm using the PropStick kit. Whenever I set any phase lock loop multiplier (even PLLx1) with my _CLKMODE, my propeller locks up. It works ok if I specify xtal1 for the mode and five MHz for the _xinfreq, but then the serial objects (both Simple_Serial and FullDuplexSerial) will only transmit ascii character 127. I'm only using 300 baud so even at 5MHz I think it should have worked. When I use the internal RCFAST clock, I can send serial but only up to 6 bits. (I can only send ascii 0 through 63; 64 and up have random errors in the higher bits.) I think that this is because the internal RC oscillator is not accurate enough to do RS-232 and that the timing errors add up, so that the first few bits come out ok but each successive bit is off by more than the last. So I guess I need the crystal?

I hooked up a 100 MHz digital scope to the XO and XI pins on the Propeller, and I am getting a clean 4.99989 MHz square wave (EDIT: I meant to say it is a SINE wave, not square wave) on both sides of the crystal (XO and XI). So I think that the problem must be either with the PLL circuitry inside my Propeller chip, or with my software. Can someone tell me what is wrong? Do I need to ask Parallax for a replacement Propeller chip?

Here is the source code I'm using that sends only ascii 127 (I'm receiving it on hyperterminal, 300 baud, no parity, 2 stop bits, tried with 7 and 8 data bits)(if I uncomment the '+ PLL1X or make it PLL<any>X, my propeller locks up completely):

CON

_clkmode = xtal1 '+ pll1x
  _xinfreq = 5_000_000
  STAT_LED = 22

OBJ

serial : "FullDuplexSerial"

PUB start | i
  DirA[noparse][[/noparse]STAT_LED]~~
  serial.start(31, 30, 0, 300)

repeat
    repeat i from 1 to 100
      serial.tx(i)
      waitcnt(3_000_000 + cnt)
      !OutA[noparse][[/noparse]STAT_LED]

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-08-01 17:27
    Dennis,

I tried your program both ways on my PropSTICK and it worked fine. But I used Parallax's pBASIC debug window instead of the evil HyperTerminal. I would urge you to do the same before requesting a replacement chip.

-Phil
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2006-08-01 19:00
    I've tried it with both the pBASIC display and with HyperTerminal. It only works in HyperTerminal, for some odd reason (the pBASIC debug window does work with my Atmega's serial output, ironically).

What I mean by the phase lock loop locking up the chip is that any program which attempts to set the PLL multiplier locks up; sometimes it resets the chip after a few seconds. Even programs which just blink the LED do this. That wouldn't be affected by hyperterminal.
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2006-08-01 19:03
    --But thanks for taking the time to try my code, Phil.