Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
433MHz Transceivers with BoeBots — Parallax Forums

433MHz Transceivers with BoeBots

RongRong Posts: 25
edited 2006-08-06 02:27 in Robotics
I was considering getting a set of the 433MHz RF transceivers, and wonder if there is much experimentation using them on BOEBOTS. Also considering the SureLink transceivers... Does anyone know how practical they are with boebots?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Ron Giuntini

San Francisco

Comments

• willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-07-30 07:39
    goto walmart and for 10 dollars you can get a cheap RC car and hack it to control your boebot thats much more practical then spending that kind of money on somthing like that.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-07-30 07:56
    Ron -

What kind of distance were you hoping to achieve, and will it be indoors or outdoors?

I'm sure there is plenty of experimentation done with RF and BOE-Bots, but I know of no source of reference, nor any specific documentation. I don't remember if there was a Nuts and Volts article regarding that topic, but you might want to check them on the Parallax web site here:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/nvcolumns/Nuts_Volts_Downloads.asp

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • tech-mechtech-mech Posts: 14
    edited 2006-08-01 06:21
    I just ordered the set of 2 transmitters and 2 recievers and plan on using an SX28 to buffer into the BoeBot and a Stamp1 project board at the PC.
    I have a project that I want to do that is going to be bi directional using an SX48 board hopefully in the future. If you want to do bi directional then you can't use radio controled car parts. There is an old thread on this if you look for it. I might try using two BoeBots from one control station in the future.
  • RongRong Posts: 25
    edited 2006-08-01 16:51
    Thanks for the replies....

I do not need great distance capability. I do want to receive data from the bot, so RC car stuff will not work. I was thinking of being able to receive data from the ping sensor, or perhaps from a compass...Just want to experiment with receiving data from the bot, more than controlling it's direction....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ron Giuntini

San Francisco
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2006-08-01 18:32
    I am a huge fan of Parallax, so I must recommend their RF products, but if you are looking to dabble with RF (and don't want to spend a lot of money), i suggest checking out the the following links:

http://www.rentron.com/Stamp_RF.htm

http://www.rentron.com/ruf-bot.htm

(I think you will like the pricesTWS-434 RF transmitter, and RWS-434 RF receiver)

Post Edited (Steve Joblin) : 8/1/2006 6:37:35 PM GMT
    edited 2006-08-01 19:17
    Steve,
    I checked out that site. It looks very interesting. Thank you.
    Ron

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ron Giuntini

San Francisco
    edited 2006-08-01 19:42
    Steve,
    I just ordered up a transmitter and receiver. You're right..the prices are very low...Looks like fun...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ron Giuntini

San Francisco
  • Matt BattleMatt Battle Posts: 172
    edited 2006-08-05 14:28
    Hey Ron,

I am somewhat on the same mission as you are. I plan on sending and receiving data to and from my robot at many distances. I am planning on buying the Parallax 433 MHz RF Transceiver Package also and trying different experiments. But that is step 1000 and I am on step 2 of my goals. We should share our findings and what not and help each other out. Here is my post:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=15&m=137965

Regards,
    Matt
    edited 2006-08-06 00:51
    Matt,
    I bookmarked your post and all the responses. I will go over them all in a day or two. I am just building up a couple of BoeBots with nmy son, and I got the Surelink Transceivers and a couple of QuickLink Demo boards, and I also just received the Reynolds Electronics TWS 434atransmitter and RWS 434receiver. I am KB6GK, but at this point, I am not really considering Amateur frequencies and priviledges, but maybe that will enter into the equation eventually.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ron Giuntini

San Francisco
  • Matt BattleMatt Battle Posts: 172
    edited 2006-08-06 02:27
    Ron,
    My thread is mainly talking about what I should use to accomplish my third goal. There isn’t really much technical talk about anything else. It seems that you have a variety of units to play with. I am looking forward to reviewing your findings.

P.S. I do not have a car sign yet for I haven’t taken the technician test yet. That will be in a month or 2.

Matt