Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Could parallax update the BS2? — Parallax Forums

Could parallax update the BS2?

TCTC Posts: 1,019
edited 2006-07-30 01:10 in BASIC Stamp
Any on know If parallax is going to or thinking of making a new BS2? I was thinking the speed of the BS2px with maby more RAM, and more (or change) EEPROM space. Could it have 4 x 4K Bytes slots(insted of 8 x 2K Bytes) of memory? I am not looking to start a "Well you can do this" post. I am just trying to give Parallax a few ideas. Maby someone else has better ideas.

Happy Stamping
TC

Comments

• SuperwormsSuperworms Posts: 118
    edited 2006-07-29 14:13
    from what i know, they are still working on the propeller, and the the mini toddler named penwin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Equipped with his 5 senses, man explores the world around and calls his adventure science
    ·
    -Edwin Hubble
    ·
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2006-07-29 15:51
    The PROpeller, from what i understand, should blow the BS2 series out of the water, even though you'll need to learn SPIN.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2006-07-29 15:55
    There's 2 stepping stones available out of the Basic Stamp Realm.
    The first is the SX from Parallax....much cheaper, much faster....maybe not as pretty, but guess what the stamp is based on!
    Then they recently fired out the Propellor....more on the advanced side....I'd for sure say to progress with the SX first. I tried skipping, but think I'll have to sit down with the SX and go through it so when I get the propellor fired up I'll just be buzzing along!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • HarborHarbor Posts: 73
    edited 2006-07-29 20:28
    TC said...
    I was thinking the speed of the BS2px with maby more RAM, and more (or change) EEPROM space. Could it have 4 x 4K Bytes slots(insted of 8 x 2K Bytes) of memory?
    Not to offer one of·the "well you can do this" answers you didn't want, I'll just say that EEPROM space is pretty trivial to achieve. At least at the BS2P level you mentioned. As for RAM, I have a gig on my desktop and keep wishing for more, so who could argue with that one? But I am curious what advantage you would see in going from 8x2k to 4x4k for the on-board EEPROM? I'm probably missing something obvious, but can you elaborate?
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-07-29 20:50
    Have you seen NewZed's 4 Mbit piggback board for the BS2 hometown.aol.com/newzed/page4.html
  • TCTC Posts: 1,019
    edited 2006-07-30 01:10
    harbor said...

But I am curious what advantage you would see in going from 8x2k to 4x4k for the on-board EEPROM? I'm probably missing something obvious, but can you elaborate?
    I am working on a project and I had split it up to fit it in the 2K byte EEPROM. It is hard to account for RAM. But this post is not to explane about my project. It is just to see other stampers wants and needs, and see if the good people at Paralax might make a nother stamp.
    RinksCustoms said...

The PROpeller, from what i understand, should blow the BS2 series out of the water, even though you'll need to learn SPIN.
    I am not the smartest person, it took me about 7-9 months to learn PBASIC. I tryed to learn SX but I was having trouble, but I am not giving up. and I think SPIN might be a little over my head. Now if Parallax combined the propellor and the Basic Stamp, I could be first in line.

Just for a little info I am going to buy the BS2px, because I need the speed.

TC