Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I'm extremely new to this please help. — Parallax Forums

I'm extremely new to this please help.

MeatstickMeatstick Posts: 11
edited 2006-07-29 21:22 in BASIC Stamp
Im really new to this I want to build a little robot to control from my computer. So my question is If I can put..

The BASIC Stamp 2sx Module
bs2sx-ic.gif

on the BS2p24/40 Demo Board

45187.gif

And what software and other hardware to get started I would need. I have seen the starter kits but the one that has the breadbutter board is to expensive.
Thank You.

Comments

• willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-07-29 06:40
    if your new i would start with the What a MicroController board to make sure you like it.... to build a robot you would have to buy the Robotics with the boebot kit... it comes with the robot you have to assemble and the Board of Education with is more towards beginners use

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28132

there is the Boebot

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28152

thats the Microcontroller book. hope i helped
  • HarborHarbor Posts: 73
    edited 2006-07-29 07:18
    If you're on a tight budget, the best bet is always a kit. You could download the books you need and read them on your computer, but a kit will even include proper bound books which are easier to study. And the price for individual parts is always higher than a kit.

The Boe-Bot is an excellent recommendation. A very good place to begin learning robotics and small computers both. For about the price of those two items you mentioned (which will work together as you asked), you could always bid on a Boe-Bot kit in an E-Bay auction. Seven or eight are being offered this week. They are not warrantied the same as a new kit would be, but Parallax has checked them out thoroughly before offering them for sale at auction. You can read details at the company's E-Bay page. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpbasic1

Those tend to go for prices about a third of retail, and they will be a much easier way to build a robot on a first-time budget than buying the individual parts.

Just in case, let me ask: Did you already have the BS2SX and Demo Board on hand, and just wondered if you could buy the extra stuff to make a robot? If so, that's a different question we'll try to answer. If you don't already have them, I would seriously consider the Boe-Bot instead.
    edited 2006-07-29 07:22
    thats really cheap for the demo board ide like to do is it would take the BS2 chip also!
  • HarborHarbor Posts: 73
    edited 2006-07-29 07:40
    Are you asking about the price of the Demo Board, Will? I think they are priced at $29 on the main website right now. The product is being discontinued. They accept all the BS2 and later models as far as I remember.

The SX chip is more expensive than the board right now. The two together are only half the price of a new Boe-Bot kit, but I was suggesting a beginner might want to skip the warranty and buy a factory-rehab kit just to get started. I bought two myself last month. The E-Bay sales are a good deal.
    edited 2006-07-29 07:54
    yea im talking about the demo board i might buy one im running out of room for alot of the stuff im creating!
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-07-29 11:47
    The Demo board does have a larger breadboard area, but you'll probably need to use 4-6 I/O pins for the 3 pin servo connections. The Boe-Bot already has 6 servo headers already wired-in and right now Computer Geeks is selling new Boe-Bot's (serial version) for $59 http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2760629
  • MeatstickMeatstick Posts: 11
    edited 2006-07-29 16:03
    Okay thanks every one for your help im gonna go check out There ebay sales and i might get the boe-bot kit just before i do, is it already asembled or does it just bring the parts and i assemble it? (i would much rather build it).

Thanks again.

EDIT: Just another question after I build the boe-bot, will I be able to remotly control it from my computer?

Post Edited (Meatstick) : 7/29/2006 4:37:58 PM GMT
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-29 19:53
    You can download the Boe-Bot manual. It's the same one that comes with the kit, so you will know ahead of time what is involved in building it.

Once built, it will not be remotely controllable from your computer. You can, however, modify it for remote control. You'll have to research the various ways of doing this, and build the modifications.
  • MeatstickMeatstick Posts: 11
    edited 2006-07-29 21:22
    Thanks,
    thats what i meant if i can modify it to be controlled Im gonna get the boe-bot now its perfect.