Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SOLAR Propeller — Parallax Forums

SOLAR Propeller

Levitis LeviathanLevitis Leviathan Posts: 32
edited 2006-08-03 03:16 in Propeller 1
Built my homebrew Propeller in a project enclosure. The pics show it powered by the solar powered option and running the Output.spin program.

Here are the pics.

The 40-pin DIP is mounted inside the enclosure on a breadboard, along with the serial I/O components. Power is regulated via a LM317T (necessary due to the varying input voltages when using solar cells, which in my application put out 6VDC nominally).

The rear panel has the serial port and power input via a terminal strip on the left; TV out and power switch are on the left. A front-panel mounted breadboard provides for maximum interface with the Propeller while minimizing inadvertent contact with the internal permanent components and connections.

Front panel breadboard contains power buses, P0 through P7 for interface purposes and P16-P23 connected to LEDS for use with the instruction manual exercises.

Next will be the addition of keyboard and mouse...
2576 x 1932 - 924K
2576 x 1932 - 1M
2576 x 1932 - 952K
2576 x 1932 - 1M
2576 x 1932 - 1M

Comments

• edited 2006-07-29 02:58
    Very nice!!!

-Dan
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-07-29 22:24
    Nice design.

I'm curious about the solar panel. What is the overall length, width of the panel?
    How does the output voltage vary with load current? Probably not very constant. Nor very constant with light level. For instance if not in direct sunlight, how high to 6v might a bright ambient lighting produce?
    Any idea what maximum current draw in bright sunlight is available?

Do you have any battery or high energy caps to power the unit after sundown?

I've not dealt with a solar application before. Another area for me to learn something about.

Sorry for the may questions. Maybe time to hit wikipedia.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • Levitis LeviathanLevitis Leviathan Posts: 32
    edited 2006-08-02 22:45
    Harley:
    The solar panel measures approx. 3.5 x 6 in, and was purchased from allelectronics.com. It is their "6 volt" panel, though I've measured as much as 9 vdc in full sunlight. Voltage and current vary with lighing conditions, with 6 vdc common in the sun; I have not been able to achieve more than 4 vdc with incandescent room light. In sunlight, the propeller drew 12 ma.
    I have not yet experimented with a power storage system, as this is my first foray into combining solar power with a microcontroller.
  • Oliver H. BaileyOliver H. Bailey Posts: 107
    edited 2006-08-03 01:32
    Levitis,
    Are you using any coin cells and charging them during daylight hours to keep the propeller running after dark?

Oliver
  • Levitis LeviathanLevitis Leviathan Posts: 32
    edited 2006-08-03 03:16
    Oliver:

I have not used any type of battery or other storage device so far. From the comments I've received, maybe I should consider this! yeah.gif