Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Graphical LCD question — Parallax Forums

Graphical LCD question

FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
edited 2006-07-28 17:38 in General Discussion
Hi!
A recent shipment of stuff from the Electronic Goldmine included 8 small, apparently graphical LCD's. They have no information on it, but it does have some part numbers on the back (All in all: "79293 SDI 13-04 S6B0755 H2.80 Reverse U6-09B63-AA B31"). Googling various combinations of these mostly gives nothing, but one part "S6B0755" does come up with a driver chip from Samsung. (http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/SamsungElectronic/mXsqxqu.pdf)
This looks attractive, becuase it seems to have a serial interface, but the datasheet doesn't give more information on that, more on the display protocol the chip uses. Anyway, the problem is the hardware connection...the LCD's have one if those elastomer connectors with alot of tiny contacts embedded in a piece of rubber. They are so small that I can't even count them. Also, I am not familiar with the package of the chip mentioned in the data sheet ("Gold bumped chip or TCP) First, how would one go about connecting to these, and second, would it be possible to use this LCD with the chip above from a Stamp, and is it worth attempting it...it looks very attractivetongue.gif
Thanks
Rafael

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
You've got to play the game.
You can't win.
You can't break even, except on a very cold day.
It doesn't get that cold.
~Laws of Thermodynamics~

Comments

• SuperwormsSuperworms Posts: 118
    edited 2006-07-28 02:55
    is it possible if you could post some pics, thanks
  • SuperwormsSuperworms Posts: 118
    edited 2006-07-28 03:01
    even though i can`t see any pics so far, they sound like so form of SMT, thought i am only giving an guess based on other SMT products i seen. but let me know if i am wrong
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2006-07-28 03:38
    There is a picture located here:
    http://goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15623

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You can't win.
    ~Laws of Thermodynamics~
    300 x 300 - 6K
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-07-28 08:59
    The chip sounds like it should work with a BS2 as it allows for both SPI and 8-bit parallell communications.

The memory also corresponds with the LCD layout, if you see page 16(19 out of 69) of the PDF.
    If you use the 8-bit mode you can read back the picture, so you don't have to keep it in BS2 memory.
    There seems to be a couple of functions to invert or mirror the picture, too.
    (By writing to a special memory location)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2006-07-28 17:38
    The problem is the package of both the chip and the LCDs...tape carrier package seems like a pretty small surface mount format...lead pitch is 0.25mm, abd the LCD has the rubber connector on the back. I could possible work around the chip, but the other thing is the availability of the chip..Samsung says mass production only on the website...
    Rafael

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You can't win.
    ~Laws of Thermodynamics~