Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
sx micro noob questins..... — Parallax Forums

sx micro noob questins.....

scary_botscary_bot Posts: 32
edited 2006-07-29 00:45 in General Discussion
Hello everyone.
·I am thinking of buying one of the sx programing kits. I have using basic stamps for a couple of years now. I have used the following,·B21, Bs2, and now a·Bs2PX.
·My main interest lie in robotis.But I wonder how difficult is the· learning curve with the SX. ·Is it that much more difficult to learn? And can I do the same kind of things that I can with a basic stamp?
·I have a few idea's for the sx, but am still left with a singel question, that I keep asking myself. Can I learn this, or is it strickly for the real engnieers amoung us?
·Thank you all, Duane

Comments

• hutdonhutdon Posts: 32
    edited 2006-07-28 01:16
    You can definitely learn it. With SX/b there's virtually no difference. And as a plus it may - if you let - ease you into assembly.
  • scary_botscary_bot Posts: 32
    edited 2006-07-28 03:04
    Well I love the idea of learning to work with the sx/b chips. And yes, asembly might be very cool to learn. Although I·think it might just scramble my brain more than it already has been... lol
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-28 04:19
    Well, if SX/B is too up in the clouds for you, and ASM is too down in the dirt for you...

SX/C, coming soon...
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2006-07-28 12:21
    look at the sx-48 proto boards.. $9.95 for power power conn and chip, with a few sip's and a small breadboard, and a sx key, you will have a cheap powerfull system that you can use basic on, yet if you need interupts, you can use some of the canned virtual periphials or make your own... the sx really has a lot of power for the price, i just happen to like the proto boards because for the one off projects· i dont have to dig up a 7805 and caps, proto board , then solder them up

dan
  • Basic JimBasic Jim Posts: 106
    edited 2006-07-28 14:42
    I originaly made the jump from the basic stamp because of the price $49.00 vs. $3.85. And the speed is another great advantage. I just wish I had more time to build the long list of things I want to do. I too love the proto board because you don't have to waste time scrouging up all the components yourself. If you buy the individual components around here you will be over $10.00 bucks and it won't look as good. Right now I use the sx28 for designing and debuging then I move to the proto board to finish the project. Athough pbasic is a little more user freindly SX/B is getting better every day. I'm very happy I made the jump. I think most people presently using basic stamps would too.

Jim W.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-07-28 15:10
    Duane,

One big difference is in debugging. The stamps have the nice DEBUG command that sends text back to the PC.

Although the SX cannot send info back, it can do things the stamps cannot. For example you can single step your code, or you can set break points. You can also "watch" variables (this is very much like using DEBUG to show a variable). The SX also has the SXSim simulator, it's great when you don't have an hardware with you. You can just simulate the program from the same IDE.

As Jim said, SX/B is getting better and better. There will be a learning curve for sure, but if you take the leap I think you'll be glad you did.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com

"The meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Unknown.
    ·
  • hammerhead74000hammerhead74000 Posts: 58
    edited 2006-07-28 20:07
    >> SX/C, coming soon...

Yup... and mcc too... yeah.gif
  • scary_botscary_bot Posts: 32
    edited 2006-07-29 00:45
    I'd like to thank everyone for all your wonderfull words of encouragement. Next week I'll be making an order.. My planes are to get the SX tool kit plus kit, as well as one or two of the photo boards. That should put me in a good starting point..
    ·I'll try not to bore you all too much with my noob questions.... _Duane