Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
measuring peddling with a Basic Stamp — Parallax Forums

measuring peddling with a Basic Stamp

jeremyajeremya Posts: 26
edited 2006-07-28 16:19 in BASIC Stamp
Basically I have an odd idea to make something like this http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/, but for when I ride a stationary bike at the gym. I figured I could use an accleromete to measure the movement of my leg have that feed into the BS and then it could say change the track on the iPod if I am slacking via the remote control pins.

I am fairly new to BS and electronics. Any suggestions would be great.

-- Jeremy

Comments

• Tristan TTristan T Posts: 31
    edited 2006-07-27 17:49
    Using an accelerometer will be a huge pain; they're great at finding which direction gravity is in, and really not so great for recreating movements. Instead consider some kind of microswitch with a weight that will bounce on each movement (this is how pedometers work... the cheap ones at least). Or if it's your bike or you can clip something to the spoke, consider a magnet+hall effect sensor.

-Tristan
  • SzarzynskiSzarzynski Posts: 16
    edited 2006-07-27 18:35
    I agree with Tristan.

I have tinkered with the hall-effect sensors and they are really easy to use - and they are pretty cheap.· You can superglue the sensor to a magnet, (it's in the spec that you can do that) then let that magnet attach to some metal part of the bike.· You just need to find a place where the sensor is close enough to some metal thing that is turning.· You can also put·another maget on the turning thing·(crank, spoke, whatever) to make it easier.· The point is that getting the information to the stamp about how fast you are peddling is going to be easy.

Neat idea, I'd like to see how you do it.
  • $TAMP&ME$TAMP&ME Posts: 18
    edited 2006-07-28 16:05
    or you can use a photoresistor or optocoutpler i made a program with a optocoupler of which might be useful. even though im ten i can be very useful
    oh and if you're using a BS2 just change the label

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    BS2 is here for the world

and
    the world is here for the BS2
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-07-28 16:19
    You could also use an IR-LED and an IR-Decoder. Reflect the signal of the IR-LED off the crank into the decoder. The SSIR module would be perfect for this (if only they still sold it, sigh).

With the BS2, send a pulse every 10 mSec or so, and when you get a reflection you know the crank has finished one rotation.

Oh, and the entire thing could fit in a small box and be self-contained.· Velcro it to the bike in the right position to catch the reflection, plug in the IPod (or whatever) and go for it.