Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Solar Panels on Boe-Bot — Parallax Forums

Solar Panels on Boe-Bot

okonisfreeokonisfree Posts: 38
edited 2006-08-03 20:40 in Robotics
I was wondering if this would actually work. I was thinking about adding these or these somewhere on my Boe-Bot and then instead of regular AA batteries powering my bot, I would use rechargables or maybe a rechargable 9V battery. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 7/27/2006 4:07:23 PM GMT

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-07-26 22:58
    You have to remember that just one servo consumes 125mA on the run without torque, with torque it can be up to 1amp.· I don't think that the solar panels are large enough to support the Boe-Bot.· Most AA rechargeable batteries are 1.2v and will not·supply enough voltage to the BASIC Stamp.· The rechargeable 9v might work, but not for·any significant amount of time.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

Post Edited (Dave Andreae (Parallax)) : 7/26/2006 11:02:45 PM GMT
  • scary_botscary_bot Posts: 32
    edited 2006-07-27 00:56
    Due to the power consumed by my servo's, and other sensors. My batts were constantly running out within only a few mins. So I built a 5 cell pack from GP 1100's. My bot can easily run a hour or more befor needing a recharge...
    ·Currently it is running three servo's, one ping sensor, a memsic, and a pair od sharp GP2D05's.
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2006-08-02 19:35
    Heres a thought for you - what about getting a solar battery charger? Northern Tool sells auto battery chargers called trickle chargers. Surely if a car battery can charge or maintain off the solar panel it can be used for recharging.

Also you may want to check out the American Solar Races at http://www.americansolarchallenge.org/ Or the recently closed Austrailan Sun Race at http://www.sunrace.com.au/ either of these sites are good resources for both design and location of usable motors or solar cells.

You may have to read through the links a bit to find exactly what you want but they do specify places to get solar cells, motors and stuff like that. If it works to move a car, I have trouble believing it can't be adapted to work on a robot. Granted Boe-Bot is a bit smaller then a car...
  • okonisfreeokonisfree Posts: 38
    edited 2006-08-03 20:40
    scary_bot,

i see you're bot is running for an hour or so. my bit right now runs for about 10 min. then the batteries are dead. I only have one proble, i don't know what a 5 cell pack from GP 1100's is.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ~okonisfree

"When life gives you lemons...

SUCK IT UP!"

lol jk