Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stamp protection - optoisolation? — Parallax Forums

stamp protection - optoisolation?

TintinTintin Posts: 37
edited 2006-08-02 17:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

I am working on an industrial control project·which involves the use·of a bs2p40·connected to 1-wire·devices which interpret thermocouple data.· How should I decide if it is necessary to use optoisolation on the 1-wire bus?·

The only exterior contact·with the outside world·is the connectors to the thermocouples.· These are rugged (omega)·male-female, which, on the micorcontroller end, don't really allow anything else to be accidently connected.·

If by any chance a high current was forced·through the connection can I assume that the 1-wire device would blow first protecting the stamp?

If isolation is a must, what single part could be used to keep component count minimal?· All info I have seen describe medium to large sized circuits to provide isolation.·

Thanks for your help,
Frank·····

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-07-26 16:21
    Frank -

When you say "1-wire" are you speaking of the Maxim/Dallas proprietary One Wire protocol? If so the answer is opto-isolation, at present, is not supportted, but the Maxim/Dallas engineers are presently working on a solution for that very problem. This comes from an inquiry I made to them last week, so the information is current.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • TintinTintin Posts: 37
    edited 2006-07-26 16:40
    Yes, The "1-wire" I speak of is the Maxim/Dallas protocol.

·
  • computer_geekcomputer_geek Posts: 5
    edited 2006-07-27 02:07
    What do you mean, like there is only one wire running to the stamp? If so, I would just use an appropriately sized fuse...
  • MarcelMarcel Posts: 32
    edited 2006-08-02 13:05
    Some opto isolation solutions: http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=49901764

1-wire·= I2C and invented by Philips.

Regards,

Marcel
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-08-02 13:08
    Marcel,
    "1-wire" is NOT I2C. I2C is a two wire interface.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" Christopher Robin to Pooh
    ·
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-08-02 14:12
    Marcel -

Beyond what Bean correctly said, "1-wire" is a proprietary and patented interface designed by and owned by Maxim/Dallas:
    http://www.maxim-ic.com/1-Wire.cfm

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • MarcelMarcel Posts: 32
    edited 2006-08-02 17:19
    Thanks for the new insight. I correct my·information nono.gif .

Marcel