Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
varying control of leds — Parallax Forums

varying control of leds

al cookeal cooke Posts: 8
edited 2006-07-26 16:11 in BASIC Stamp
I'm having trouble controlling brightness of led banks , 24 each RGB, each color connected in parallel. Hoped to use digital pots into op-amps - transistors/w feedback to vary incrementally. I'd appreciate any help - which op-amp, dig-pot, transistor tp use. Or where can I look for info? Using LM358, 2N2222, tried 10K and 100K pots, 5 & 12 volts but very little control between LED on - off. Thanks for any suggestions. Al

Comments

• Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-07-25 23:13
    al cooke said...
    I'm having trouble controlling brightness of led banks , 24 each RGB, each color connected in parallel. Hoped to use digital pots into op-amps - transistors/w feedback to vary incrementally. I'd appreciate any help - which op-amp, dig-pot, transistor tp use. Or where can I look for info? Using LM358, 2N2222, tried 10K and 100K pots, 5 & 12 volts but very little control between LED on - off. Thanks for any suggestions. Al
    It would appear from your description that you would be using a "resistive" approach to dimming the LEDs. If this is the case it's going to be much less efficient (i.e. turning a lot of energy into heat) than using Pulse Width Modulation. There was a posting to the ParallaxEFX board a few days back that detailed using PWM code to vary the brightness of LEDS:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=591981

Hope this helps [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

• al cookeal cooke Posts: 8
    edited 2006-07-26 16:11
    Thanks for the reference Vern. I think you are right about PWM. Al Cooke