Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Please help?? — Parallax Forums

Please help??

SailorSailor Posts: 4
edited 2006-07-25 19:12 in BASIC Stamp
Hello Everyone!!

Thanks in advance for your help, I emailed the sales peoeple of parallax about this but didn't get a really clear answer...

my question is I have several sensors that need to be read in real time by a custom app wrote in C# using the dotnet 2.0 and their serial port class(I understand the chips have there own laguage pbasic thats fine)

for example a tempature sensor will use·my custom app to display the current and real tempature and also beable to turn a small fan on according to the max temp. setting that is user defined in the custom app.

so what parallax product is capable of doing this? BS2??

I assume you can use the debug functions of the bs2 and intergrate that into a custom app?

·

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-07-25 17:28
    I'm not sure that I fully understand your project?· The BASIC Stamps can only be programmed using PBASIC,·you can use the BASIC Stamp 2 to read in sensors and send that information serially to the "C" program or send that information a display for viewing real time.· Here is a link to some sample code and wiring diagram using the BASIC Stamp 2 and a temperature sensor:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=604-00002·.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • SailorSailor Posts: 4
    edited 2006-07-25 17:37
    I understand the bs2 can only be programmed in pbasic, thats cool... my question is can my custom app interface with the BS2? can I have a computer program read data from the bs2 in realtime?

all examples I have seen when it comes to reading anything from the bs2 in real time is only using Parallax's debug terminal.
    edited 2006-07-25 18:05
    The BASIC Stamp 2 can communicate with the PC serially at 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, and 1 stop bit.· If your software can communicate·using the protocol listed above then it should work just fine.· Is your software configurable for the BS2 protocol?

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com

·
    edited 2006-07-25 18:22
    Thanks Dave for answering all my questions [noparse]:)[/noparse]

when you say "Is your software configurable for the BS2 protocol?" do you just mean 9600, 8, none, 1
    or is there a specific protcol that the BS2 uses for communicating to the computer?

·
    edited 2006-07-25 18:50
    I'm referring to the 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, and 1 stop bit, which happens to be the protocol to the PC as well.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com

·
    edited 2006-07-25 19:12
    Wonderful Thank you for all your help.
    ·