Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PS/2 jack pin numbering — Parallax Forums

PS/2 jack pin numbering

HarleyHarley Posts: 997
edited 2006-07-28 14:53 in Propeller 1
On drawing up a schematic for my PropSTICK breadboard, find pin numbers are lacking. rolleyes.gif

Looking at the Propeller Demo board schematic, the pin numbering is omitted. So Googled and found some info which seems confusing vs that of the Demo schematic.

What I found was numbering below for the PS/2 keyboard connector.
2 1
4 3
6 [noparse]/noparse 5

with the pins ID'd as follows ('[noparse]/noparse' for keying pin)
1. Data
2. not used
3. Gnd
4. +5v
5. Clock
6. not used

How does this relate to the Demo board schematic? Does it have the keying pin up? And viewed from the front (cable plug view)? I have an optical mouse, but it doesn't show any pin numbering on the cable plug.

This might be obvious for most PC guys; I've been a Mac'er since '84, but do have a PC laptop for PIC and other work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Harley Shanko
h.a.s. designn

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2006-07-25 01:17
    Oooops!

Looks like the editor does NOT like leading spaces.

I had arranges the PS/2 pin numbers in a near circle. Didn't retain. Please read it as if they did fall in a circle. I'd not noticed this 'space' problem before.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2006-07-25 20:36
    Does anyone know why the forum message editor fails to include two or more spaces at the start of a line, or multiple spaces between letters or numbers? shocked.gifnono.gif

Makes it difficult to format information to put a point across. See my first message here; the pin#s were to represent the PS/2 pins in a circle. Multiple spaces were ignored, but multiple CR/LFs aren't.

Is there a reason for this? mad.gifsmhair.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-07-25 20:40
    Use the code box in the Post Reply Form, all white space is preserved.
    Like this:
     2  1
    4    3
     6[noparse][[/noparse]]5

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-07-25 20:45
    got to go, but I would like to know more about the code box as well.

I'll try and catch you tomarrow!
    edited 2006-07-25 22:02
    Thanks, Paul.

Tried it and sure enough 'code' works. But forgot 'Help' in upper right was available. Didn't understand lots of the examples; they were NOT obvious what the point was, IMO.

Still on the 'learning curve' for the forum editor and for sure the Propeller.

Thanks for the guidance. And, Bambino; I just tried it (the 'code' box), previewed it, found it worked, and Cancelled so it wouldn't get added to the forum.

jumpin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2006-07-25 22:14
    Some 70 reads of this thread, yet does anyone know what the pinout numbering actually is? And, how the pin numbering direction sequences from the front (cable end) of the PS/2 connector?

It's a shame the Propeller Demo board schematic have the pin numbers!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-07-26 16:11
    Harley,

This may at least put you on the right track. It doesn't answer your question directly though. <http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=596818>

Here is one, but considering the revision I can't say it's valid!

<http://pinouts.ws/ps-2-keyboard-pinout.html>

Post Edited (bambino) : 7/26/2006 4:22:13 PM GMT
  • T&amp;E EngineerT&amp;E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-07-26 16:20
    Try this thread too:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=597189

I had to reverse the DATA and CLOCK wires going to the PS/2 connector to get it to work. It wasn't a mater of flipping the connector (because then the +5v and ground would be flipped which is not correct).

I believe that the drawing was incorrect for DATA and CLOCK. Try swapping them and it should work but leave the +5v and ground pins the same.

Thanks.
    edited 2006-07-26 20:14
    T&E Engineer said...
    Try this thread too:

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=136297

I had to reverse the DATA and CLOCK wires going to the PS/2 connector to get it to work. It wasn't a mater of flipping the connector (because then the +5v and ground would be flipped which is not correct).

I believe that the drawing was incorrect for DATA and CLOCK. Try swapping them and it should work but leave the +5v and ground pins the same.

Thanks.

Thanks. That gave me an idea, after looking at all the suggested threads and URLs. I looked at my ThinkPad PS/2 jack and the mouse cable end, but find no pin numbering; not much space. But realized when the metal shell and a pin had continuity, that probably was Ground.

Stuck a wire in the +5v socket, and measured 4.95v; so now know that would be pins# 4 for +5 and 3 for ground, as other pin numbered drawings indicated. Only problem; they didn't specify if the pinouts were for the mouse/keyboard cable connector or the jack on the unit (hint: Propeller Demo board schematic is really vague).

The Demo board schematic shows a 'gap' to the left of the Data pin; I assumed this implied the spacing due to the 'key'. Though doesn't make sense now.

It appears the pin pattern (in this orientation on my PC laptop) would be as shown below. This then has the Data and Clock on opposite pins from the Demo board schematic. [noparse][[/noparse]Parallax, can you verify this???___________]
    (view of the board connector pins, I'm guessing!?!?!?)
                6 [noparse][[/noparse]] 5  - Clock
     +5v -  4      3  - Ground
                 2  1  - Data

Maybe this doesn't matter to those with the Demo board. But for those who purchased the PropSTICK, or built their own on protoboards or own designed pcb, this is really important. Else could burn out mouse/keyboard if the power/ground isn't clear.

And, last of all, it has WASTED a number of people's time. All due to vague schematic detail (actually lack of it). Maybe the Demo board is OK and matches the program's assigned pins. But when one gets advice to 'look how it was done on the Propeller Demo board' and gets led astray, it can be a very frustrating 'adventure'.

Hopefully Parallax can clarify this detail.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    edited 2006-07-27 23:50
    Thanks to the few who steered me to some info. yeah.gif

Today searching I found the PS/2 connector is REALLY a miniDIN 6-pin connector. DigiKey online catalog had one by CUI. Does anyone know who makes the ones used on the Propeller Demo board?

And the CUI drawing shows the pins to appear as I 'drew' above. Key is up (away from a pcb mounting plane), with pins 1, 3, and 5 on the right. Can anyone verify if Clock is on pin 1 or pin 5? (I ask because from a web site Data was on pin 1.) confused.gif

Now if only these connectors came with w/w pins in a row to fit the protoboard (shown). I know, I'll need a bigger proto board in time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    h.a.s. designn
    640 x 480 - 64K
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-07-28 14:53
    FWIW..
    I used PS2 ext cables... cut off the unneeded end, and wire tied the other end down...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller + Hardware - extra bits for the bit bucket =· 1 Coffeeless KaosKidd

·