Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ethernet / wireless connectivity? — Parallax Forums

ethernet / wireless connectivity?

noiddnoidd Posts: 4
edited 2006-07-26 09:14 in Propeller 1
For the propeller.

Is anyone working on this yet before I start evil scheming... I would hate to duplicate effort.

Comments

• noiddnoidd Posts: 4
    edited 2006-07-24 02:28
    That looks remarkeably like http://www.picotux.com/

If it is the same and runs linux it completely removes the need I have for the propeller chip since I'm a UNIX programmer already and looking at the propeller as my first microprocessor.
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2006-07-24 03:48
    That picotux looks like they may have used an xport...
    You can get an xport from here... Fairly cheap... http://cubloc.com/product/01_08xport.php
    Cheap as in like·half what the picotux is listed on their page..

Although, I'd rather not stray anyone from using a propeller...· You may find uses for it that you·hadn't originally thought of..· I know I have.

Post Edited (sharpie) : 7/24/2006 3:52:35 AM GMT
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-07-24 04:40
    I looked at the XPort awhile back. It seemed that if you wanted to do anything interesting with it — like serving dynamic web content based on data from an attached microcontroller — you had to use Java. That seemed a bit unpalatable. A server that used templates would be a lot more approachable.

But more to the point, I sometimes wonder why the push to put network intelligence at the far end of the cable? The performance constraints and extra expense are seldom justified by the returns. As an alternative, consider a device that NewEgg (www.newegg.com) offers. It's a USB repeater for $39.99 that will drive a 150-foot CAT-5 cable with ease and provide power to the downstream device. You can read about it here: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812101152. I have one and it works great. With the internal step-up DC-DC converter driving the cable, it will even assure a solid 5V supply at the downstream end. Now, considering that most network installations involve at least one PC, why not run the web server in the PC, where cheap resources abound, and hang the "web-connected device" off a USB port? The PC doesn't even need to be dedicated to the task: a web server can run in the background with hardly a dent in workstation performance. I believe the overall cost savings and flexibility far surpass what's currently available in the device server market. Plus you don't have to power the remote device (unless it's really current-hungry) or mess with Power-over-Ethernet retrofits.

-Phil
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2006-07-24 07:37
    Using the XPort for a webserver, I would agree... For converting serial data and transferring it across ethernet, it is very handy. I've run into many situations where the XPort provides a great way for a micro to communicate with a pc, or other micros across extreme distances. And the wiport extends that to wireless. The web server functionality hasn't been of great use to me.. It's only 50$ and you basically get an ip stack and ethernet for your micro. It's just another option, I guess it depends on what your application's requirements are. I agree however, I'm not sure they made the best choice using Java... Wouldn't be my preference, of course I wouldn't have included the webserver either.
    edited 2006-07-24 13:42
    You don't have to use java. I authored the Perl port to the arm processor. You can pick the patches up in /Cross directory of the perl distribution or my cpan site (CPANID: RED)
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-07-24 15:58
    Lantronix isn't the only game in town folks:

www.edtp.com
    www.tibbo.com/
    www.modtronix.com/
    www.netburner.com/

I could keep going...(Parallax has already released the PINK module in conjunction with Netburner: http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30013 )

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-07-24 17:11
    Ryan,

The PINK module is exactly what I mean by a templating system and is the right approach, IMO.

Noid,

Porting Perl to one of these little beasts is quite intriguing. But I wonder if they have adequate storage and horsepower to handle CGI, much less something as large as Andy Wardley's excellent Template Toolkit (www.template-toolkit.org). This is what I mean by trying to force too much functionality to the far end of the cable, when the same or better performance could be had at the near end for far less money and grief. I have to admit, web-enabled devices carry that "wow!-cool!-gotta-have-it!" mystique. But they just don't pencil out economically, compared to USB over the same (hardwired) distances.

Sharpie,

As to using TCP/IP for extended-length serial I/O, RS422/RS485 will do the same thing with far less complexity. And with a short-haul modem you can go well beyond Ethernet's limited range.

(Please note: I'm playing devil's advocate here. I'm just as intrigued by web-enabled devices as the next guy. But before getting carried away by the sizzle, I think it's important to examine the steak.)

-Phil
  • hammerhead74000hammerhead74000 Posts: 58
    edited 2006-07-24 18:39
    Mouser also has the Xport... I'm planning on using one in a SX project of mine so I can monitor/program it from inside the house (it's a controller system for a garden/tree-grove - watering w/ soil-moisture/temp/humidity/sunlight sensors, fountain pump & lights on a RTC & sunlight sensor, anti-deer/rabbit motion activated spinkler, etc)...
    edited 2006-07-25 12:47
    Phil,

You can cut perl pretty much down to the bone if you need to. Also, using libperl.so functionality you can have multiple perl processes running with very little footprint (maybe 12k per process in memory for each additional on an arm archetecture). Anyways, I disgress.

What I am researching for is that I want to put random devices on walls around my house. Yes, this is a development exercise for me. I need not want the intellegence in the device but I want it to be able to communicate with other devices and my main server here. Something as simple as being able to recieve and emit UDP packets as a low rate would be enough for me to start with.

I'm not looking for web functionality, just an IP stack I can abuse.