Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2sx very hot — Parallax Forums

BS2sx very hot

Ken StraussKen Strauss Posts: 10
edited 2006-07-23 20:38 in BASIC Stamp
I recently purchased a BS2sx and BoE-USB board. Things seem to work great and I have successfully run several test programs but...
The surface mount chip just below and to the left of the "BS2sx" label (beside pin 4) runs very hot -- almost too hot to comfortablely touch with a fingertip. This is with *nothing* connected to the STAMP. Is this normal? Vdd measures about 4.98 with my DVM so the regulator is OK.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-07-23 20:38
    Ken -

Let me say first that of all the lower end Stamps, I LOVE the BS-2SX the best. That said, it does have one major drawback. It consumes more power than any other Stamp unfortunately, at 60 mA. Thus, any power supply providing power to it will have to work harder with the BS-2SX than with the other Stamp platforms.

Generally speaking, the less delta voltage (supplied voltage - required voltage = delta voltage) the voltage regulator has to pass, the less heat will be disappated. Thus, if you are supplying the BS2-SX with the maximum voltage permitted (12 VDC) and you have 5-6 VDC available, use the lower voltage. This will produce less heat.

As you said "almost too hot to comfortable touch", that is somewhat subjective and may vary between those touching the same chip. HOWEVER, the chip should NEVER be too hot to actaully touch. Nearly too much is probably within limits, and reducing the input voltage may solve the entire problem promptly, and put your mind better at ease.

Regards,

Bruce Bates