Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Will there ever be a 3.3volt BasicStamp with higher clocking speed and lower po — Parallax Forums

Will there ever be a 3.3volt BasicStamp with higher clocking speed and lower po

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-07-24 17:47 in BASIC Stamp
This year I was really surprised by the Propeller, which is a 3.3volt system and 32bits with 8 parallel processors.

Originally I had thought that Parallax was going to come out with a 3.3volt BasicStamp as it can easily be done and it would be both faster and compatible with a lot of useful devices.· Also, it would be easier to run on 4 NiH AA cells.

Now that the Propeller is out and I am using it for my 3.3volt needs, I still am wondering if this will happen.·
One obvious use is as a Propeller support chip, but I have yet to need it as such.

Alternatively, there are a lot of chips that will easily interface and run longer at 3.3volts.· I also imagine that this is where most of the newer consumer products are headed [noparse][[/noparse]because of Lithium batteries], so there will be more demand to interface with SPI and I2C at this level.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 7/24/2006 10:18:27 AM GMT

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-07-23 20:24
    I believe Parallax have stated several times that there is no plans for a low-voltage BS1/BS2.

It is possible to modify some, though, to run at lower voltages, but don't expect any support for it afterwards.
    (I managed to get my BS1 to run at 3V by cutting a track on it. It can run for a fair amount of time with just a small button-type cell.... )
    You may find that some components doesn't like the lower voltage, or the timing becomes erratic, so...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-07-24 10:35
    I believe that both the SX and EEPROM are capabable of sustained 3.3v operation. The RS-232 programing interface would be cutting it pretty thin though. Additional cost may be the reason for avoiding it. Adding a MAX3232 would be a great help.

I fear that the programible Brown Out Fuse in firmware might disallow getting down to 3.0volts in the SX.
    It depends mostly of that being an unchangible obstacle from the user's side.

I suppose that I just have to run one from the unregulated +5v input and see where the cut off is. If it already is set at 2.6v cutoff, I can programing it in the normal +5volt operating mode and THEN install it into a +3.3volt environment. For running on 4 AA cells without a regulator, that would allow operation from +5.5 down to +2.6. Since the recharible NiMh don't like to be run too low [noparse][[/noparse]neither do the Lithium], that is about optimal.

Another alternative is for Parallax to merely lower their firmware Brown Out to 2.6v [noparse][[/noparse]if it isn't there already] for all capable products.
    Since it may already be done that way, it looks like I really have some testing to do before I make more requests.

Nonetheless, they could get it to clock faster and still run cool at 3.3volts, but the Propeller runs circles around the BasicStamps at 160Mhz standard adn possible 240Mhz when overclocked.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-07-24 17:40
    I ran a quick trial.
    My BasicStamp2p24 becomes unstable at roughly +4.73volts, but still tries to function.
    I haven't a clue what is the main factor, but this obviously excludes operation at lower voltages without a regulator.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2006-07-24 17:47
    Gadgetman said...
    I believe Parallax have stated several times that there is no plans for a low-voltage BS1/BS2.
    It is possible to modify some, though, to run at lower voltages, but don't expect any support for it afterwards.
    (I managed to get my BS1 to run at 3V by cutting a track on it. It can run for a fair amount of time with just a small button-type cell.... )
    You may find that some components doesn't like the lower voltage, or the timing becomes erratic, so...
    The Tab Robotics Sumo-Bot that used a surface mounted BSII chip was running at 3.3v Here's a schematic of their implementation:

http://www.notepad.org/SumoBot_RevC.pdf

So, it appears that if you use OEM parts you could make a 3.3v BSII... smile.gif

Vern

PS: I learned about this by assuming it was 5v TTL and trying to use the included breadboard to connect up some "standard" 5v TTL devices (i.e. 5v serial LCD and a Pocket Watch B) and couldn't get any response... smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

Post Edited (Vern) : 7/24/2006 10:37:46 PM GMT