Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
loading stampdaq — Parallax Forums

loading stampdaq

RandyRandy Posts: 79
edited 2006-07-26 00:24 in BASIC Stamp
I have a computer that does not have internet access that I would like to use for stampdaq. Is there a way to load the program via a writeable cd? On a different computer I have tried to write to a cd straight from the on line site as well as from the file in 'my downloads'. It says 'incorrect function' when I try to send the file to the cd writer. I did the following - My computer - Downloads - Stampdaq - send to - Drive E. Am I doing something wrong or does·the program·have to go from the parallax site directly to the computer for the install? Yes I know the obvious solution is to connect the computer to the internet but for a variety of reasons that can't be done. While I am at it is it necessary to have the stamp programing software installed in the computer to run stampdaq or does it reside soly in excel?

Randy

Comments

• Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-23 21:29
    You have to download StampDAQ before you can install it. You can download it on an internet-connected PC, save it on a CD and transfer it to another computer. Just download it and burn it to a cd, using whatever method you normally use to burn data cds.

As for running StampDAQ, it requires Excel to run, since it is an Excel add-in. It won't work apart fron Excel. You don't need the BS2 IDE, except to program your BS2 for your intended usage.
  • RandyRandy Posts: 79
    edited 2006-07-24 01:57
    Thanks for the response Kevin,
    I have StampDAQ on the computer I use for writing programs and for testing. The project will be used at another location on a different computer. Transfering StampDAQ to CD is what I have not been able to do. I get the message "incorrect function" when I try to burn the CD. I can burn other things so I know the CD Writer is okay. I tried to burn from the StampDAQ that was already in the computer and couldn't. I went to the Parallax site and tried to download directly to CD, and could not do it. I then downloaded again and tried to burn it without having run install first. Same message. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
    Randy
    edited 2006-07-24 03:54
    What version of Windows are you using? What program are you using to create CDs with?

What type of CDs are you using?

I bought a spindle of CDs once that worked fine...for half the spindle. I had to buy a different brand, which worked fine.
    edited 2006-07-25 00:21
    Hi again Kevin,

My CRWriter is apparently having an intermitent problem. I thought it was okay as it copied fine when I tested it. Later when I was making some CDs sometimes it worked and others it wouldn't. It gave different reasons for not working - not accesable, no CD in drive, wrong application and then it would be okay. I reseated all the boards and plugs to no avail.·Anyway I got the copy I needed. Not that it matters at this point but I am running XP and using Memorex CDs. I too learned a long time ago that cutting corners and costs can be the same as cutting your throat.

Thanks for the response

Randy
    edited 2006-07-25 02:04
    Well, FWIW, Memorex CD-Rs are the same brand that I had trouble with. Some burned fine, then they just stopped burning.

Now I try to use Verbatim, or some other CD-R with a blue under-surface.
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2006-07-25 13:15
    Also FWIW, I have had similar problems when the jumper settings on the CD are incorrect. Without getting into too much detail, on each of your IDE busses you can have one master and one slave. If you have two devices set to the same thing (typically controlled by a jumper on the back of the HD, CD, etc.), you can see these type of intermittent problems.

Signed: The voice of experience ;^)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...

Post Edited (Tom Walker) : 7/25/2006 1:18:57 PM GMT
    edited 2006-07-26 00:24
    Thanks Kevin and Tom, When I have a chance I will try a different brand of CD. I have been using mostly the Memorex for about four years without problems, I doubt that there is a problem with the jumpers as this is the first problem in four plus years. If I discover anything worth telling I will.

StampDAQ is loaded in the orphin computer and is running fine so far.

Randy