Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Alternatives of HyperTerm — Parallax Forums

Alternatives of HyperTerm

paulchainkangpaulchainkang Posts: 10
edited 2006-07-24 22:03 in Propeller 1
Hello,

Hyperterm is horrible to use. Can you recommend alternatives for the RS232 terminal? Small and Freeware are preferred. Thanks in advance.

Paul Kang

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-07-23 04:15
    Paul,

I agree with your assessment of HT. It's hideous.

Until the Propeller IDE comes with its own terminal mode, I recommend the debug window in Parallax's PBASIC Editor/Compiler. It's easy to use, it's free, and you can download it from Parallax's website. You just have to remember to set it to an unused port when you're uploading Propeller code.

-Phil
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2006-07-23 05:22
    I've also used TeraTermPro... It works.· And it's free.
    http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-23 05:24
    With that recommendation, how difficult would it be for Parallax to uncouple the debug window into a standalone app?

No changes, modifications, etc. Just make it a standalone .exe?
  • acantostegaacantostega Posts: 105
    edited 2006-07-23 05:31
    For Linux, besides minicom, a nice, simple one is gtkterm. If that one worked on windoze it'd be ideal.
    In windows there's a nice Bray's terminal
    bray.velenje.cx/avr/terminal/.
    It's designed for stuff like communicating with micros. It's free as in beer.

In the avrfreaks forum the smileymicros guy (who wrote a book on programming avr's using avr-gcc / winavr) has posted his own terminal software programmed on the dotnet platform, which also has the purpose of communicating with micros. Don't really like the gui's aesthetic though smile.gif . It's also free as in beer (maybe free as in speech, I don't know), and the source code is provided.
    Try www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=34234 or http://www.smileymicros.com (I think Bray's terminal is in there too).
  • paulchainkangpaulchainkang Posts: 10
    edited 2006-07-23 07:55
    Thanks to all.

I found [url=mailto:Br@y]Br@y[/url]++ terminal from http://www.smileymicros.com/·has all I need.

Paul Kang
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2006-07-23 11:54
    There is a very nice, and very simple terminal program that comes with VB6 pro as a sample.

Its Ok for free distribution because it is provided as a sample·program when you purchase vb6 professional. Its also a great template if you want to create and customise your own comms program in vb6.

I have looked at some other free programs, and this one is the simplest by far.

Most com settings are easily changed, and the screen is not cluttered with unnecessary buttons.

I can email it to anybody that wants it. not sure how big the file is, but will let you know if / when you ask for it.

BTW, could'nt agree more with how clumsy HT is to use.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Western Australia.
  • JamesxJamesx Posts: 132
    edited 2006-07-24 22:03
    Another one that's free and has worked for me, up to 230K, is RealTerm.