Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pushbuttons — Parallax Forums

Pushbuttons

dtalvacchiodtalvacchio Posts: 36
edited 2006-07-24 19:18 in General Discussion
I'm looking for pushbuttons whose leads can be inserted into sockets for wire-wrapping, but I'm not seeing any at Radio Shack, Jameco, etc. Are these not available? If anyone can make suggestions or let me know my options, I'd appreciate it . . .

Thanks

Comments

• aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-07-24 01:43
    Look for tactile push-buttons. Many are made using 0.1" centers for the pins which makes them compatible with SIP sockets. You then have to find SIP sockets with wire-wrapping leads.

Another option is to adopt a hybrid wire scheme where you mix wire-wrapping and point-to-point soldering.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wouldn't connect that if I were you...

Vive Le Tour!
    July 1 - July 23
  • dtalvacchiodtalvacchio Posts: 36
    edited 2006-07-24 17:06
    Thank you, aalegado, for your thoughts over here in the sandbox as well. I've done a thorough search for these tactile push buttons but can't seem to find any on 0.1" centers. I wonder if I am misreading something. I was under the assumption that anything outfitted for a PC board would have to be compatible with the 0.1" x 0.1" spacing, yet this push button, which is for PC mounting, is on 0.15" x 0.25" centers:

www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/MPB-218/700325/TACTILE_PUSHBUTTON_W__PLUNGER_.html

Seems like it would not work with the SIP sockets. Am I misreading something?
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-07-24 17:17
    dtalvaccio -

I can't say for sure, but check the Grayhill web site. They have all sorts of tactile switches. If you only need a few, ask for samples.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2006-07-24 19:18
    Dtalvacchio-

You'll find that switches come with pin-outs of every dimension! PC mount just means they can be inserted into the board and soldered in.

The switch you referenced looks like its connectors are long enough to be gently bent to align at 0.2" x 0.3" without too much difficulty.

The other thing I've done from time to time is solder some solid copper wire to the switch terminals then bend the wire to align properly.

Cheers,

Tom