Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Rs 232 DCE Appmod — Parallax Forums

Rs 232 DCE Appmod

haninatorhaninator Posts: 6
edited 2006-07-21 15:18 in Robotics
Hi.

I have just purchased a RS232 DCE Appmod. I have a BS2x with a board of education. have a couple of queries that i would like to seek some help on. As i am very new to basic Stamp, pls accept my apologies b4 hand for some questions which might seem really elementary.

1. Do i need any additional hardware connections other than that which is shown in the small picture that i have uploaded? That is any other connections required between X1, X2 and X3 of the appmod..

2. say i would like to use the appmod for a serial reading in, i should be using SERIN function right? i know of function as shown:
SERIN Rpin {\Fpin}, Baudmode, {Plabel,} {Timeout, Tlabel,} [noparse][[/noparse]InputData].
i would like to know the Rpin value such that i can receive data through the Appmod. I know Rpin 16 is to receive data through the dedicted serial port, (physical pin 2). Need to know what value to use to read through the appmod serial.

3. I would most likely need to use the timeout tlabel function in the SERIN command. But the manual states the timeout value to be between 0-65535. may i know how to convert this value into say milliseconds? that would be very helpful.

4. The equipment that i have has a baudrate of 19200. I read in the manual that the max BS2x can have is 9600 baudrate. am i wrong about this? I remember reading another post from a member that says that he could get it up to baudrates of 38.4K. How is that possible if the manual states that due to lack of hardware buffer, max baudrate is 9600?

Thank you for taking the time to read the posts. Appreciate it.

Haninator
640 x 480 - 45K

Comments

• Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-07-21 14:11
    Haninator,

The connections are not made for you- you must make the connections with jumpers (this was to allow for different pin useage on the stamp side)-

As you have it in the picutre there will be no communication-

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-07-21 15:18
    Ryan -

Could you expand on your answer just a bit for those of us who don't have a DCE App Mod in front of us? You said:

"The connections are not made for you- you must make the connections with jumpers (this was to allow for different pin useage on the stamp side)-"

My questions are:

"The connections are not made for you- ..."

between what and what?

"... you must make the connections with jumpers (this was to allow for different pin useage on the stamp side)-"

and the jumper go between what and what,and how many jumpers must be used?

Sorry to be so dense, but knowing these details may help us to help others in the future.

Thanks!

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->