Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB BOEBOT issues...working fine now, but wonder if anyone has seen this? — Parallax Forums

USB BOEBOT issues...working fine now, but wonder if anyone has seen this?

RongRong Posts: 25
edited 2006-07-23 12:55 in Robotics
I have been using the Basis Stamp Editor since last year on my "What's A Microcontroller?" projects...I am familiar with both the basic stamp, and the editor.

I bought a USB BoeBot for my son at the Maker Faire, and we are finally getting around to building it. I was able to easily download and install and use the Basic Stamp Editor V2.2.5. Got it from the Parallax website. No problem. However, at first I tried to install the software from the CD that came with the USB BoeBot, and had no luck at all. The hard drive keep running, and I never saw anything on the C drive. I tried several methods, but bottom line....the CD software did not install...I went to the Internet, and in worked instantly....So....anyone else have this problem?

BTW, the software works fine, except for one glitch I had to work out.. I plugged in the BOE, and the software detected the stamp fine. But when my son tried to run the very first program, the Editor indicated there was a Hardware problem. Even though it had just detected the Stamp fine. Turns out I am connecting this BOE to the usb through a Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card. It showed up as COM 3 when the Editor originally detected it...The detector dialogue box also showed COM 1 and COM 2 with nothing there. So it was only after I deleted the COM 1 and COM 2 ports in the dialogue box that the COM 3 USB 2.0 port ran the program. Again, the Editor had previously detected the COM 3 USB connected stamp, but would not run the program there. Does anyone have any insight to these two issues?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Ron Giuntini

San Francisco

Comments

• Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-07-21 14:13
    The problem is that you are using a Belkin card. We are finding that Belkin has issues with how they implemented the RS232 communications in their drivers. Their products are currently known NOT to work correctly.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • RongRong Posts: 25
    edited 2006-07-21 16:24
    That is what I figured. But by simply deleting the unused COM 1 and Com 2, everything was fine. But why did the software not install? Was it because of the card? If so, why did the downloaded software install easily?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ron Giuntini

San Francisco
  • pcrobotpcrobot Posts: 103
    edited 2006-07-23 12:55
    My friends had the same problem with a laptop (with no serial port) and a serial-to-USB cord. I think it might have been Belkin too...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.x3beta.forumup.com