Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
why isn't my BS1 communicating with the computer???!!! — Parallax Forums

why isn't my BS1 communicating with the computer???!!!

brettmbrettm Posts: 36
edited 2006-07-21 18:46 in BASIC Stamp
I called tech support and we couldn't come up with anything besides check all the connections, which I did.· I took these pictures also.· I'm getting a "hardware communication failure.· check serial cable and power supply" error.· I used this exact setup on the same computer last week with a different stamp and it worked fine.· I tried it with several more stamps I have and same thing (though I no longer have that stamp that worked last week).· I even tried it on 2 other computers.

Arg!

I also found this thread with a similar problem and double checked everything addressed: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=540843

here is how I have it setup, do you see anything wrong?

p1010098rw1.jpg
p1010099gb4.jpg

Comments

• goldfingerfifgoldfingerfif Posts: 18
    edited 2006-07-20 21:40
    I see you are giving it almost 19vdc, I thought the BS cannot take more than 16?
  • brettmbrettm Posts: 36
    edited 2006-07-20 22:16
    goldfingerfif said...
    I see you are giving it almost 19vdc, I thought the BS cannot take more than 16?
    according to this, it's 5-36vdc:· http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/basicstamps/bs1.asp

even so, I tried another chip with a 9v supply with the same results.

·
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-07-20 22:37
    goldfinger -

Which version of the PBASIC IDE are you using? I think you need the newest version of the editor to use the serial-parallel adapter (see below), although I stand to be corrected. I've never used one myself.

Feel free to interpret this as you will:

"Now you can program the BASIC Stamp® 1 module in the Windows environment using this required adapter. One end plugs into your serial cable and the other into a 3-pin header. The new editor is available as a free download in the Documentation/BASIC Stamp Software area of the web site."

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
    edited 2006-07-20 23:48
    this was all done with the most recent editor (version 2.2.5).
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-21 02:34
    Maybe the breadboard is bad.

Try the other side, or at least do a continuity check between the BS1 pins, and the ends of the wires that plug into the adapter.
    edited 2006-07-21 17:30
    Kevin Wood said...
    Maybe the breadboard is bad.

Try the other side, or at least do a continuity check between the BS1 pins, and the ends of the wires that plug into the adapter.
    I've checked continuity between every possible point.

Also, when I run the ID function it is recognizing the stamp, but when I Run the program I get the error mentioned above.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-21 18:46
    Well, at this point, the only thing you can do is spray it with WD-40... smile.gif

Hmm, just in case somebody thinks I'm serious, that is a joke, so don't actually spray it...

Have you tried a different serial cable?