edited 2006-07-28 22:24 in General Discussion
does anyone know of any clones of any parallx products

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-07-20 16:55
    I don't think clones would be legal.
  • SuperwormsSuperworms Posts: 118
    edited 2006-07-20 16:58
    in other words, i mean products that are made by other conpines/groups that act like parallax products, and that can work work with parallax products
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-07-20 19:40
    superworms -

I'm not sure why you're asking what you're asking, but nearly any microprocessor can be used with Parallax accessories. None that I know of REQUIRE a PBASIC Stamp.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2006-07-20 20:39
    The question is also dangerously close to taboo. Would you walk into Radio Shack and ask where else you could be one of their products?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
  • aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-07-21 20:12
    Maybe the intent is to find a lower-cost source for Parallax tech...i.e., a Stamp with the PBasic interpreter? Of course, this does not exist since Parallax is the sole source for PICs with the PBasic interpreter.

The closest thing I've seen to a clone product (and they aren't clones because they have actual Parallax parts) is a re-implementation of the BS2 OEM and BS2 SX OEM kits. I forget the name but they've come up with a breadboard-friendly form factor for the Parallax OEM kits and are a little cheaper.

I seem to remember someone posting to the forum where he bought a PIC controller from Jameco not realizing that it wasn't the same device that Parallax sells as the Stamp. His intent was to save some $$$ but it ended up a waste since the part was entirely useless to him.

With respect to the BS2, the through-hole version is fairly cheap as is the EEPROM. You'd need to come up with something like the BS2 OEM to serve as a programming station but you could use the inexpensive through-hole parts to build BS2-based projects without paying $50 for each BS2. I think it works out to about $20 for the bare minimum parts to implement a BS2-based project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wouldn't connect that if I were you...

Vive Le Tour!
    July 1 - July 23

Post Edited (aalegado) : 7/21/2006 8:16:17 PM GMT
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Posts: 24
    edited 2006-07-27 00:32
    CrustCrawler is pretty similar to Parallax, but they work with them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DrkCrwlr
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-07-28 22:24
    There are BS2 clones out there. Search for them, because I wont play an active hand in steering business away from Parallax. Just don't expect the same level of support. One of the competitors (considered one of the better clones) has a forum, but it is much less active than the Parallax forums. As an indication of the level of activity, one member has posted 84 posts and is classified as a "Top 25 poster", compare that to the scores of people on this forum who have >1K posts, he wouldn't even rank in the top 100 here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔