Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller gonna' hurl — Parallax Forums

Propeller gonna' hurl

cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
edited 2006-12-09 21:44 in Propeller 1
Try·this on the Propeller Demo Board with headphones, or just put some RC integrators on pins 10 and 11 and listen in stereo. Maybe somebody can make a recording of this and post it on this thread.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-07-20 04:36
    Here's a recording of the first 30 seconds of SpinSick. It's an MP3 file, but you'll have to download it and rename it from .MPX to .MP3 for it to work with most players.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2006-07-20 04:56
    Mike/Chip,

This will add a truly crazy behaviour to robotic projects, for certain. Until Propeller, even walking and beeping at the same time was a challenge for my robots, let alone walking and hurling along the way.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-07-20 05:45
    That's, um, really neat, Chip! When I played it, my cat got up and left the room. And for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, it evoked memories of college keg parties.

Thanks for sharing...
    -Phil
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-07-20 05:46
    Thanks for posting this, Mike.

Are you Propeller users out there very intrigued by a speech synthesis object?
    Mike Green said...
    Here's a recording of the first 30 seconds of SpinSick. It's an MP3 file, but you'll have to download it and rename it from .MPX to .MP3 for it to work with most players.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2006-07-20 05:50
    Chip,

Seriously, yes. I can see where this "hurling" is going. The underlying phonemic qualities are pretty convincing!

-Phil
  • acantostegaacantostega Posts: 105
    edited 2006-07-20 05:59
    lol.gif
    Chip, that's great! Although I'm currently using the Propeller for robotic control, after hearing (and watching) the Hydra demo and listening to this I see the audio possibiliities of the Propeller are very interesting ...

I've been making weird lofi chip/glitch "music" (using the term generously) for a while now, but mainly using software (favorite tool: Buzztracker!) and a couple of drum machines, but I have a nice collection of old toy keyboards, some of them modified ("bent", see www.anti-theory.com/soundart/circuitbend/).

So I have been pondering the idea of adding some Propeller-based noise making device. Maybe something along the lines of the Avrsyn, ( www.elby-designs.com/avrsynth/avrsyn-about.htm) which uses an Atmel avr along with a rudimentary DAC made out of a 8 resistors in parallel.

One thing I've noticed looking at the schematics for the Propeller demo board is that there's no DAC, but rather a couple of pins going directly to the MAX4411 headphone amplifier. So, you're just using square waves, or am I missing something?
    edited 2006-07-20 06:06
    And along those lines, it'd be cool if somebody makes a MIDI object for the Propeller ... or I might look into it once I get done with school.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-07-20 06:39
    Those RC integrators (10k ohm and 10nF) on the demo board filter the digital output to make analog waveforms.
    acantostega said...

One thing I've noticed looking at the schematics for the Propeller demo board is that there's no DAC, but rather a couple of pins going directly to the MAX4411 headphone amplifier. So, you're just using square waves, or am I missing something?
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2006-07-20 14:09
    I would like to see the ability to input your voice or MP3 files into the Propeller and then access them or voice clips at address locations like the ISD2560 or ISD25120 chip. This way we could controll what is being played back in some fashion.

Thanks.

Post Edited (T&E Engineer) : 7/20/2006 2:14:03 PM GMT
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-07-20 14:36
    Chip:
    This is neat. I can see this becomming something lilke a text 2 speach hardware device as well...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller + Hardware - extra bits for the bit bucket =· 1 Coffeeless KaosKidd

·
  • BuddhaBuddha Posts: 25
    edited 2006-07-20 14:47
    WOW! That is amazing. It would be fantastic if the Propeller could do speech synth, and this demo makes it sound possible. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-07-20 15:17
    Uncanny, The last few days have been spent contemplateing which DAC to get to work with my uChip dsp controller. Really just to kill time constructively and learn something about audio. I've known how to record it, but playback like this is a tangent I'd like to followup on!
    edited 2006-07-20 21:28
    Chip Gracey (Parallax) said...
    Those RC integrators (10k ohm and 10nF) on the demo board filter the digital output to make analog waveforms.

Ah, I see. Hm, I don't know much about analog electronics. Will have to study it.
    By the way, Bambino, that sounds interesting. If you make something cool please let us know!
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2006-07-21 04:24
    Now that is really cool.

Rob7
  • LarryLarry Posts: 212
    edited 2006-07-21 06:00
    Pretty neat!

someone might want to take a look here. I've been musing that it might be a nice problem (when I got better) to try and convert this for a Prop--

www.romanblack.com/picsound.htm

and see if this is adaptable. Spend some time there- the "1 1/2 bit" sound is pretty good!

The advantage I see is that the MP3 to sound to bit stream conversion program is already written. there are also clues for writing the playback program and for storing the files in a separate eprom.

Anyone with an amazing tolerance for tedious work might be able to construct the whole list of phonemes for a speech module.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • APStech-AttilaAPStech-Attila Posts: 38
    edited 2006-07-21 07:46
    Hello Larry

The·"1 1/2 bit" coding is pretty clever. I think it is very difficult to mix samples (Except for analog mixing with resistors), but the 1/8 compression is very impressive.

I was thinking about ADPCM (1/4 compression) which is open source. ADPCM is signed 16 bit, this makes the algorithm ideal for sample mixing (sound effects, etc.)

I could not find detailed description about the PWM or DUTY cycle mode of the counters. I could not find a commented·example to set the PWM frequency and duty cycle. (Or any any other setup of the counters for sound reproduction)
  • LarryLarry Posts: 212
    edited 2006-07-21 14:01
    Attlila said...
    I could not find detailed description about the PWM or DUTY cycle mode of the counters. I could not find a commented example to set the PWM frequency and duty cycle. (Or any any other setup of the counters for sound reproduction)

I don't think PWM is involved. I think it's just a serial readout of the bit stream of the information stored in the EEPROM. The question then is what rate to playback. I figure that depends on the cap and resistor values analogue integrator you use and the playback rate.

I'll admit info is a little sketchy and I could be totally wrong. Roman invites inquiry on his site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2006-07-21 14:53
    acancostega said,
    <
    By the way, Bambino, that sounds interesting. If you make something cool please let us know!>

Mother board fried last night, This heat is killing everything but my pepper plants.
    Thank God for dual hard Drives!

·
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2006-09-03 17:47
    a text to speech function would be awesome, i'd volunteer for the tedious stuff like inputting all the different vocal sounds if someone can generate a function for the Prop.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Definetly a E3 (Electronics Engineer Extrodinare!)
    "I laugh in the face of imposible,... not because i know it all, ... but because I don't know well enough!"
  • daveedavee Posts: 35
    edited 2006-10-13 22:53
    TTS would be great. Love the Spinsick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Evartt

People don't hate computers, they just hate lousy programmers.

http://wehali.com
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-10-22 12:41
    This is awesome. The makings of speech syntesis. Looking forward for the TTS object.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ALIBE - Artificial LIfe BEing. In search of building autonoumous land robot

http://ALIBE.crosscity.com/
    http://fstop.crosscity.com/
    http://icar.crosscity.com/
    ·
  • paulmacpaulmac Posts: 51
    edited 2006-12-09 10:40
    I've been thinking over the last few days that you could have the Prop vocalise debugging information.

I am indeed intrigued by a speech synthesis object.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-12-09 21:44
    Have you looked at the two newer threads on this subject? Chip has released an object capable of speech synthesis, and PhiPi has a thread where he has made it say quite a bit of things.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.