Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Voltage reading — Parallax Forums

Voltage reading

tigershark35tigershark35 Posts: 60
edited 2006-07-19 17:45 in BASIC Stamp
Hi
I would like to poll the voltage of the batteries onboard my project and send that info serially so I can see what the remaiing capabilites are.· I am not ready to tackle the serial part of the project, just the part of measuring and having a digtial variable to send later.

Any help or pointing to existing literature will be appreciated.
JG

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-07-19 17:31
    This book available for free download <http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/edu/baad.pdf&gt; covers basic analog and digital interfacing and discusses how to use a simple external analog to digital converter with a Stamp processor. You probably will need a voltage divider to reduce the voltage (proportionally) seen by the analog to digital converter since they're usually limited to measure no higher than their supply voltage. Two identical largish resistors in series (like 47K) across the battery (preferably on the Stamp side of an on/off switch) would provide 1/2 the battery voltage for measurement. If your battery pack is 6V, this extra load will "waste" about 60ua.
  • tigershark35tigershark35 Posts: 60
    edited 2006-07-19 17:41
    Thanks.

I tried that link and since it is a PDF I have to download it to read it. I have problems just putting that address in - something wrong with my viewer·I gess. ·What is the name of the document? I will go from the website. It looks like it will do what I want.

Thanks for the quick response.

JG
  • tigershark35tigershark35 Posts: 60
    edited 2006-07-19 17:45
    Mike, Found it ok.

Thanks
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-07-19 17:45
    Basic Analog and Digital - Student Guide