Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
making a remote — Parallax Forums

making a remote

willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
edited 2006-07-21 03:00 in BASIC Stamp
i have an infrared and want to make a remote control out of my extra stamp i have but i dont know where to start.. ive made the· robot control its self from the universal remote i have but no luck on making my own remote i dont even know where to being to tell you the truth... what would i need? any timers? anything extra?

Comments

• willthiswork89willthiswork89 Posts: 359
    edited 2006-07-19 06:06
    anyone? i remember seeing a thing on two robots a guy made that when they noticed each other they would send moves to the other and they would inherit characteristics from the other robot such as turning left or right forward or backward... i beleive on hackaday.com buut im not sure and thoughts would be appreceiated
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-07-19 14:25
    It's difficult with a 'plain' BS2 to send the 'bit patterns' with the proper timing to let it act like an IR-Remote.

The IR-Buddy does this, but it has a co-processor that only knows the Phillips RC-5 prototocol. You can add a 555 based timer circuit to give you a 38 Khz signal, which you can then 'modulate' with the PULSOUT command from the BS2, and that can work pretty well.

You'll need to find the protocol being used for the device you want to control. If YOU control both ends (in other words, a BOE-Bot sending to another BOE-Bot) you can use full milli-second bit times, and use the BS2 FREQOUT command to send the modulated pulses.

Note the 'Sony' protocol tends to be one of the easist to implement.

Look up "Sony IR-Remote" or "Phillips RC-5". Theres a few good links on what the 'remote' signal looks like.
    edited 2006-07-19 16:23
    well i planned on taking four push buttons and depending on the one pushed send a different ammount of pulses to the boebot? i dunno how to really do it though can i just make it send like 5 pulses fr forward all 20 MS apart, 6 for backwards ect? or how can i make that work
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-07-20 03:14
    · With a 300bps baudrate, you could use SERIN/SEROUT.· For transmission, you'll have to run the STAMP SEROUT to an amplifier (a transistor) which will enable higher drive current for the IRED.· Your program/s could·SERIN/SEROUT "forward", "reverse", "right", "left", or you could use byte-sized codes of your own devise (e.g. $01, $02, $04, $08.)

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 7/20/2006 3:18:07 AM GMT
    edited 2006-07-20 16:28
    okay well i see everyone talk BOUT THAT BUT i need a book on the baud rate and (expletive) ive never seen it the most ive messed with was finishing robotics with the boebot and IR Remote for the boebot
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-07-21 00:38
    You NEED to read PBASIC Help, specifically the entries for SERIN and SEROUT, over and over; print them out and red-line them.
    edited 2006-07-21 01:51
    alright i figured it out a little but it still doesnt make much sense about the baud rate and what not.