Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
lucky bad day. — Parallax Forums

lucky bad day.

scary_botscary_bot Posts: 32
edited 2006-07-27 23:05 in Robotics
Last week a built a batt pack for my boe bot. 4 cells just didnt last long enough anymore.... Anyway I used 5 can cells making a·6.0v 1100 mihi pack. I then soildered deans plugs to the pack, and boe power cord. I have been running it for a week or so now with no troubles. Then today after charging, I powered up the bot, it ran for maybe 10 seconds before the baot stopped and a nasty·stream of black smoke formed. I turned off the boe board, and un pluged the pack. I was sure the stamp was lost along with everything else.
·Turnes out the wire sleave over the deans red/black power line from the board came lose, and touched. I wrapped up the wire where it had melted. And repaired the deans. Re-pluged it to the pack; hoping for the best. To my amazment everything work just fine.....
·A lucky day indeed!

Comments

• Cliff DudeCliff Dude Posts: 5
    edited 2006-07-18 04:21
    Wow, I don't have that kind of luck
  • scary_botscary_bot Posts: 32
    edited 2006-07-18 04:28
    It was amazing luck. I was sure that I fryied my stamp.
  • gelfling6gelfling6 Posts: 60
    edited 2006-07-27 23:05
    It could've been worse! I had a similar problem happen awhile back, and for the life of me, I can't rememebr which forum subject I posted it in... But, I have another hobby.. I visit Renaissance Faires in the area, and learned how to knit chain maille..
    Well, long story short, I had a sheet of maille sitting on my car seat, and the BOE-Bot sitting on top of my laptop next to it..
    I turned a corner, and the BOE-Bot rolled (end over end) off the laptop, and landed top-down on top of the maille..
    Now, remember, the 9V pins on the board? Yep! they shorted! it melted the contacts loose from the battery pack, and the
    wires. Thankfully, I smelled the smoke, and rescued the BOT. freaked.gifjumpin.gifnono.gif

I never could get a Radioshack 4-cell carrier to fit, so I eventually replaced the battery pack with a 5-cell NiMH pack
    from a gutted Camcorder battery, but ever since, learned.. when the BOT is not working, UNPLUG the battery! idea.gif

Stephen (gelfling6)