Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Running anything (Basic Stamp) on a MAC G4 — Parallax Forums

Running anything (Basic Stamp) on a MAC G4

Dr. ChuckDr. Chuck Posts: 7
edited 2006-07-26 02:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hi: I am just joining the Forum and know very little, so excuse my ignorant status. I want to run the PBasic on some Mac G4' & G5's. Is it possible? Can Labview software act as the editor? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Comments

• Special_KSpecial_K Posts: 162
    edited 2006-07-18 00:29
    I do not know about the LabView but you can run macbs2 on your mac. It will let you write programs to run or your basic stamp. if you have a serial BOE-Bot then you will need a serial to usb adapter. if you have a USB BOE-Bot then you just need to download the FTDI drivers in the downloads section of the parallax web site
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-18 00:48
    Welcome to the forum.

PBasic is a proprietary programming language that is used for programming the Parallax Basic Stamp microcontrollers.

You can use a Mac (G3+) to program a Basic Stamp in PBasic, using the BASIC Stamp Macintosh Editor - Version 2.0b7, available from Parallax.

You cannot, however, use PBasic to create a program that will run on a Mac. PBasic programs only run on Basic Stamp microcontrollers.

Labview can't be used to write a PBasic program. If it can be programmed for serial communications, it can interact with a Basic Stamp microcontroller running a PBasic program.

So for example, you could create a "button" instrument in Labview that would send a command to a Basic Stamp, telling it to take some form of action, such as blink an LED. You could also have a "display" instrument that shows some numerical data from a sensor attached to a Basic Stamp.

In both these examples, you would need to create several components:
    1. A Basic Stamp hardware circuit (inputs/outputs/sensors. etc.)
    2. A Basic Stamp program in PBasic that does a couple of things: 1)monitors the sensors, and 2)communicates with Labview
    3. A Labview program that communicates with the Basic Stamp

As mentioned, you can use a Mac to program the Basic Stamp. You would need to contact national Instruments for Labview - Mac compatibility questions.

If you need more specific advice, post a more detailed description of your project, along with the problem you're having.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-07-18 02:01
    FYI MacBS2 is up to version 15 - you can download it here www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2/
  • Dr. ChuckDr. Chuck Posts: 7
    edited 2006-07-18 05:01
    Thank you all very much. I will d/l the MAC editor and get to work. What a great group!!!

Thanks,

Chuck
    edited 2006-07-23 23:03
    OK!!! I'm still stuck. I d/l the latest macbs2 .16; The latest FTDI driver from Parallax; The updates on everything. I checked the circuitry on a PC and everything checks out. I am using a USB-Serial R232RL from Parallax, & I still get the msg. "No serial Port found",

Any suggestions?
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2006-07-23 23:29
    Is the power light on on the board?
    Is there a dropdown window on the top right hand corner of the Macbs2 that says something like usbserialxxxxxx?
    From Stamp button, did you select the right stamp?

Reboot the Mac, sometimes I have to do that if it gets stuck and can't find the Stamp.
  • aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-07-24 01:37
    Try opening the Network Preference Panel. If the FTDI driver is detected, the Network Pref Panel will report that a new port has been detected. You don't have to actually configured anything at this point. It just seems to detect the driver.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wouldn't connect that if I were you...

Vive Le Tour!
    July 1 - July 23
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-07-24 05:26
    Dr. Chuck said...
    OK!!! I'm still stuck. I d/l the latest macbs2 .16; The latest FTDI driver from Parallax...

Any suggestions?
    You probably don't want the latest FTDI driver. MacBS2 has problems with it. Check out the first item in the MacBS2 FAQ: www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2/faq.shtml

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
  • aalegadoaalegado Posts: 66
    edited 2006-07-24 06:13
    SSteve said...
    Dr. Chuck said...
    OK!!! I'm still stuck. I d/l the latest macbs2 .16; The latest FTDI driver from Parallax...

Any suggestions?
    You probably don't want the latest FTDI driver. MacBS2 has problems with it. Check out the first item in the MacBS2 FAQ: www.muratnkonar.com/otherstuff/macbs2/faq.shtml

If you have a Intel Mac you don't have much choice...you have to use the latest drivers if you want to use Universal drivers. I've been using the Universal drivers for a few weeks now. MacBS2 does throw up a warning about the driver which I just click through. I haven't crashed MacBS2 but I have noticed that after downloading code to a Stamp that the Stamp won't start executing until I change the serial port choice via the pop-up (I have three available ports, two developmet boards via USB and a BS2 OEM via a Keyspan USB-to-Serial). I can also disconnect the USB cable to the Stamp involved and it will start executing the new program. This seems to only affect things after program download. If I reconnect the USB cable or change the pop-up select back to the original USB port selection, the Stamp continues to execute the current program.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I wouldn't connect that if I were you...

Vive Le Tour!
    July 1 - July 23
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-07-24 16:44
    aalegado said...
    If you have a Intel Mac you don't have much choice...
    He said he was using a G4/G5.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store
  • Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2006-07-24 17:10
    Dr. Chuck said...
    OK!!! I'm still stuck. I d/l the latest macbs2 .16; The latest FTDI driver from Parallax; The updates on everything. I checked the circuitry on a PC and everything checks out. I am using a USB-Serial R232RL from Parallax, & I still get the msg. "No serial Port found",

Any suggestions?

What version FTDI driver are you using? You need to run 1.09 on a G4, not the new 2.x. There is a problem with that driver. if you have the new driver MacBS2 will object to it and tell you how to get the 1.09 driver (Murat has a copy of it stashed on his website somewhere and the warning message tells you how to get it).

The new FTDI Intel-Mac driver doesn't work either.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
    See the K107 Serial LCD Controller at
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
    edited 2006-07-24 18:28
    Brian: I tried the v. 1.09 & the 2x. Neither worked!

Orig 99: The light on the USB/serial board lights up. The Stamp board lights up. The Serial window shows no serial port and the window has no choices to select. I have chosen the correct BS2 in the STAMNP file;
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
    edited 2006-07-24 20:07
    ok then you have a definite driver or connection problem. is there a program already in the stamp you can run on its own to determine if the Stamp is alive at all? Pretty strange if you have tried both drivers. Mine just worked, but rarely needs a reboot if it can't find the Stamp. Maybe a damaged USB to Serial?

Sorry not much help here

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    something smells like it's on fire
    edited 2006-07-24 21:52
    OK, some thoughts. I just spent a hour fussing with this. I have a MacBookPro 2.0Ghz w/2GB, BootCamp and WinXP and a 12" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz. I have an older Parallax FTDI USB to Serial adapter, two KeySpan USA19Q adapters, and an iConcepts adapter. On the PBook G4 they all work with their respective latest and greatest PPC drivers, except the Parallax FTDI which uses v1.09. MacBS2 will ID chips and load programs just fine, all versions.

My MacBookPro worked fine with the brand new KeySpan Universal Binary driver version 2.1. MacBS2 IDs chips and loads prgrams. Before today I had been unable to get the Parallax FTDI driver for Intel version 2.2.0 to work. Now, I don't know if Murat did something in MacBS2 version 2.0b16, but now it works. MacBS2 IDs chips and loads programs just fine.

All of these adapters work fine with every single Parallax program under Winders when I boot to WinXP

What this all says to me is ... you stated the little window had no choice of serial ports ... you either have a defective unit or you need to uninstall the drivers and get fresh copies and reinstall. This is easier said than done, most of tese don't come with an uninstall, you have to burrow into the library and find the correct KEXT files and dump them. Not for the feint of heart! Mistakes here can have ghastly consequences!

MacBS2 is very specific about serial ports. This is not the fault of the author, but the requirements of the Basic Stamp. Too many, particularly the cheap ones, USB-serial adapters are only partial implementations aimed at PDAs, they just won't do. Ya gets what's ya pays fer ... get a Keyspan or a Parallax FTDI adapter and you shouldn't have a problem, if the hardware is working correctly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
    edited 2006-07-24 23:46
    Brian & all: I followed all advice. D/l all fresh drivers (settled on FTDI 2.1.0) and despite the warning, it works. I am happy to report that macbs2.16 recognizes the stamp and also the usb serial port. My Boe-Bot is loaded and running around the room. The Parallax FTDI adater USB/Serial connector is very touchy about connecting. I kept getting the stamp recogonized but "no power" msg. All seems fine now.

Thanks to you all for your advice!!!

Chuck
    edited 2006-07-26 02:05
    Dr. Chuck said...
    Brian & all: I followed all advice. D/l all fresh drivers (settled on FTDI 2.1.0) and despite the warning, it works. I am happy to report that macbs2.16 recognizes the stamp and also the usb serial port. My Boe-Bot is loaded and running around the room. The Parallax FTDI adater USB/Serial connector is very touchy about connecting. I kept getting the stamp recogonized but "no power" msg. All seems fine now.

Thanks to you all for your advice!!!

Chuck

I have been in touch with Murat on this. I too found that the FTDI 2.2.0 (Intel) driver now works with 2.0b16 and had so informed him. I will forward your comments to him about 2.1 (PPC) and 2.0b16.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/