Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pool Skimmer Project — Parallax Forums

Pool Skimmer Project

Justin FryJustin Fry Posts: 2
edited 2006-07-18 18:01 in BASIC Stamp
I am working on a pool skimmer that is remote controlled but I would like to make it Autonomous so I can let it run by itself and it will be able to avoid hitting objects and the sides of the pool. I am looking into Microcontrollers and how to program them. Can anyone recommend a parallex micro controller that will be easy for begineers to use? I will have 2-3 sensors on the front of the skimmer and I want to have a basic operation. When sensor A is blocked the skimmer will turn in a specified direction and when sensor B is blocked it goes in another direction...you get the point. Any recommendations or suggestions/reading material that can help?

Comments

• DannyDanny Posts: 56
    edited 2006-07-17 18:26
    On a similar note, can you use IR ranging under water? meaning in a pool with clean water?
    Not looking for long range sensing, just avoidance. I like the idea of a surface skimmer and figure you are planning on following the side of the pool. Was wondering if the same priciple could be applied to an underwater cleaner?
    Just curious, please don't flame me!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Never create anything you can't control"
    "The amount of intelligence on the planet is fixed... the population is growing"
  • A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-07-17 18:38
    The BS2 is KING for this kind of thing. Actually, I once made a automous BS2 boat that uses a VEX ultrasonic module to navigate. I bought a RadioShack remote Control boat, and had two servos control the remote. The VEX module, is above water, attached to the front of the boat. I could post code and schematics if you are doing it this way.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Somebody said...
    -Never Underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    ·
  • Justin FryJustin Fry Posts: 2
    edited 2006-07-17 21:16
    I am working for a private inventor who has a patent on a design fo ra pool skimmer and the concept is to suck in water with a pump and the debris is caught in a net and the water that is pumped in goes through a tube and is used to propel the boat forward.· The original design is similar to the one shown on this web site but it doesn't use propellars it uses a water pump to suck water in and push it out.· Then I am adding sensors above water to sense objects for avoidance.· This is where I need help on with choosing a micro-controller and writing code.· So any sugestions are very helpful.· I will keep everyone updated on design once I figure out this micro-controller and how to program it.

Similar prop. design:
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/remote-control-boatpool-skimmer-178857.php
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-07-18 18:01
    You might want to take a look at the Robotics with the Boe-Bot book available as a free download <here>. It has a lot of material on object avoidance.

As far as which microcontroller to use, there is a seemingly-endless supply of source code and reference material out there for the BS2 series, but the new Propeller chip is a lot more powerful. Since the Propeller is so new, though, there isn't as much support material yet. These forums are a great resource for either chip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows

links:
    My band's website
    Our album on the iTunes Music Store