Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ribbon cable for appmod socket? — Parallax Forums

ribbon cable for appmod socket?

ecume des joursecume des jours Posts: 1
edited 2006-07-16 12:45 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

I am building a project that uses a board of education and its appmod socket to connect to a parallax-endorsed bluetooth module (the eb500). The only problem is that the bluetooth module is huge and sticks out at a right angle from the board, which will not work for my project. Anyone know of an appmod ribbon cable that I can use to move the eb500 to a more suitable location? or else, how would I go about attaching standard wires to the male pins of the eb500's male appmod connector (to build my own ribbon cable)? I'd like to avoid directly soldering wires onto the eb500 as it will then no longer work in the appmod socket for the future.

Thanks for any advice!

Eric

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-07-15 18:05
    If you're a good solderer, and patient, you could solder a 20-pin two-row socket directly to a two-row right-angle header.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-07-16 05:52
    places like digikey, mouser and jameco have the parts you need.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-07-16 12:45
    You don't have to solder anything. Just get a couple of double headers that have both sides long. I believe that would be 2x20.
    Then, you can make your own ribbon cable in an appropriate length by buying the ends and a hunk of cable.

Be sure to allow extra length for the tension relief that bends the cable back accross the top of the plug. I have made that mistake and come up short.

If fact, it is better to make a long cable that can be later used for many things than to make one that is just long enough. You can always make an exact length later, after you understand what I am trying to say and see your chassis requirements.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan