Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Updates. What's up? — Parallax Forums

Updates. What's up?

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2006-07-14 20:37 in Propeller 1
Well I just returned from the printer with 4 copies of Propeller Manual Ver 1.0 and I see Ver 1.01 is already out.

I guess I can live with that, but would like to know what's different.
I can write up an errata sheet, print out the pages that are correct, and high light the changes.

What I am really wondering is when the Propeller Tool IDE (now V. 0.95] will be in sync with the Manual?
I believe that the Ver 1.0 was anticipating a Propeller Tool IDE Ver1.0, but we are still at Ver. 0.95.

The reason for all this nit-picking is that I have been waiting to put together a few gift packages for local folks that might be greatly impressed.· If the documentation and the IDE are in sych, it will make a better impression as it is a lot of English for them to sift through.

I am getting better at reading bits of electronics in Chinese, but it has only taken 12 years to get this far.·· For most, I suspect there is a certian dread when present with a huge technical text in English.· This is what I am trying to overcome.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Comments

• Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2006-07-14 17:15
    Hi Kramer, I·can answer·part of your questions.

After the v1.0 was posted, we received a heads-up about a significant error and had one of those "stop the presses!" mornings.· The pages that were affected are 344, 367, and 378-380.· These changes made it into the·printer file for·the v1.0 hard-copy books,·so its·content will match the v1.01 web release.

Thanks for volunteering, but I have attached a pdf file of the 5 pages that were replaced, with the changes highlighted. I hope this is what you are looking for.

You are right, the version 1.0 book·was written·support the v1.0 editor, which will be released soon (and I'm not at liberty to define "soon"· - my apologies!)

-Stephanie Lindsay

Parallax Inc.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-07-14 19:10
    Thank you Stephanie,
    Technical writing is quite painstaking and adding deadlines makes it all very grueling.

One of my mottos is, 'Anything a human can make, can be repaired by humans.'
    I didn't expect the text to be flawless, just the usually Parallax high degree of readability.

I will print out the ERRATA and staple a copy to the front cover of each.

I have a theory that the 2nd edtion of a text is always the best [noparse][[/noparse]because the readers tell you what they really want and need].

I see that the color area clearly shows the corrected [noparse][[/noparse]ver1.01] language, but that the footer at the bottom says [noparse][[/noparse]v1.0].·· You might change that footer to read [noparse][[/noparse]v1.0 corrected page].· Some of us will just get more muddled with guess work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 7/14/2006 7:31:21 PM GMT
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2006-07-14 20:36
    Thanks for the suggestion!· I will also·be adding a cover sheet and posting this to the web, probably with an open-ended list of corrections as I get that invaluable feedback from all of you.

-Stephanie Lindsay
    Parallax Inc.
  • edited 2006-07-14 20:37
    FYI, the changes for page 367, "COGSTOP", didn't actually make it into version 1.01. But I think we can all figure out that "COGSTOP" _stops_ a cog, not starts like the doc says.