Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
serial comms expansion — Parallax Forums

serial comms expansion

haninatorhaninator Posts: 6
edited 2006-07-17 16:00 in Robotics
Hi there,

I have a Boebot with a BS2. I would like to use the Boebot to do the following,

1. Use Boebot to obtain range readings with a Laser range finder sensor of my own.
the range finder has a RS232 interface.

2. Use the Boebot to relay the range data information out to another storage equipment.
This equipment also has a RS232 interface.

With the above requirements, it seems that on top of the RS232 port provided on the
Board of Education, i will need 2 more RS232 ports, one for Input and one for output of the
readings.

may i enquire if this is possible?

If so, would the BASIC Stamp 1 Serial Adapter help to provide the solution?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post. i am an amateur so i beg your pardon
if my questions appear really elementary and silly.

Thanks again.

Haninator

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-07-13 12:16
    haninator said...
    may i enquire if this is possible?
    Yes.· http://www.robotstore.com/store/product.asp?pid=1066&catid=1587· There is a Parallax "DCE AppMod" available, too.· It has the AppMod header.· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=29120
    haninator said...
    If so, would the BASIC Stamp 1 Serial Adapter help to provide the solution?
    No, that's for programming a BS1-IC with the PBASIC (Windows-based) Editor / IDE.
  • haninatorhaninator Posts: 6
    edited 2006-07-17 07:04
    Thank you very much PJ Allen for your reply. Appreciate it very much.

So the Appmod says that it is "stackable" meaning, i can have 2 serial Appmods stacked to acheive the one for input and the other for output functionality right?

Thanks again!

haninator
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2006-07-17 11:53
    Regarding the DCE AppMod -- it has an output and an input, so I'd recommend making a splitter cable: one will have only TX and GND and the other will have only RX and GND.
  • haninatorhaninator Posts: 6
    edited 2006-07-17 16:00
    Thank you again Allen. Will definately try out what you suggested the moment I lay my hands on the hardware.

Best regards,

Haninator