Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Do you need to know computer programming? — Parallax Forums

Do you need to know computer programming?

FJ and GFJ and G Posts: 3
edited 2006-07-13 09:05 in General Discussion
To get the most out of robotics?????

I took C++ a few years ago. Passed the course but hated it.

OTOH, I enjoy wiring up servos, motors and stuff.

Any hope?

Comments

• ktekxktekx Posts: 71
    edited 2006-07-13 09:00
    FJ and G, you sound a lot like me. I took a programming course way back in freshman year of high school, hated it, glad I was finished with it. I've always enjoyed building circuits and things electronic related, then I decided I'd like to have more control over my projects and got a basic stamp, loved it, in fact, it gave me a new sense of enjoyment in programming and circuits. That programming course i took back in high school really helped me greatly and I'm glad I had taken it, even if I didn't enjoy it initially.

I think the problem with learning is, how and why you are learning. I learned programming in high school for a credit and I thought initially it was all fun and games. I soon learned it was countless pages and pages of reading and exams, home work, projects, etc. This took the fun out of programming and turned me off from really wanting to pursue learning to advance my programming knowledge it in my own time. However, playing with a Stamp was really different, I knew what I wanted, and learning was a fun journey to get to the destination. It was very rewarding to see the results of my accomplishments and was a source of motivation for me to further study programming.

Give it a try, you'll never know what you are missing out on until you take the dive. smile.gifsmile.gif
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-07-13 09:05
    I suspect two minimal skills are involved.
    1. an ability to organize a logical computer program. PBasic seems to be an easy way to get started, rather than C++ [noparse][[/noparse]which you hated]
    2. an ability to clearly communicate your ideas and inquiries to other [noparse][[/noparse]which seems to be a bit missing here]

If you want to get started, try looking at the 'What's a Microcontroller?' text and course. You may download it for FREE and think it over.

Parallax is all about being friendly to people starting out. Loads of support and loads of fun.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan