Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
input data into Excel via StampDAQ — Parallax Forums

input data into Excel via StampDAQ

david milesdavid miles Posts: 2
edited 2006-07-13 21:59 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to input data into Excel via StampDAQ from circuits that give a high of 5 volts and low of zero volts. I have Excel and StampDAQ set-up and have found the "simple BASIC Stamp 2 code" but I don't know what to do with it. Can anyone help me to get started?

David.

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 7/13/2006 2:09:13 AM GMT

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2006-07-13 01:12
    Do you have a Basic Stamp? And have you read the documentation? When you have ask a specific question that is slightly less broad.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-13 01:39
    If you don't have a BS2, a good option to get started is the Parallax Summer Special, also known as the RadioShack "What's a Microcontroller" kit.

If you do have a BS2, you can download the "What's a Microcontroller" manual from the Parallax site. It will show you how to detect the high / low signals with the BS2. Once you have that going, you can move on to StampDAQ.
  • david milesdavid miles Posts: 2
    edited 2006-07-13 17:57
    OK. I want to plot a graph of people entering a shop over a three min period, using a photocell detector. I started with the idea of using a micro, but realised that I could detect easily using an analogue circuit with an output of plus 5volts and zero volts. I am obviously new to micro's and would like to be able to get data into Excel. I thought that using StampDAQ was a way forward. Can anyone help me do this?

David Miles.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2006-07-13 21:59
    What type of project is this? Commercial, personal, learning, etc.?

If this is a learning exercise, and you're looking to interface to your PC without a microcontroller, you might want to do some research via Google. You'll need to build an interface circuit for your PC input port, as well as find / write a program that can detect and process that input.

If it's a commercial project, you might want to seriously consider using a microcontroller. A good place to begin your research is the "What's a Microcontroller" manual, which can be freely downloaded from the Parallax website.