Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where can I find a Caller ID ( CID ) Chip? — Parallax Forums

Where can I find a Caller ID ( CID ) Chip?

WillWhiteWillWhite Posts: 15
edited 2006-07-16 15:55 in BASIC Stamp
Greetings all,

I'm working on improving a project I made for our on-campus phone system. Now that we've had the phone system upgraded I can recieve caller-id information over analog lines and I'd like to get rid of the "band-aid" approach I did by snooping on the Voice Mail system's integration link.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a Palstic DIP through hole type of chip.

I started looking for the Motorola MC145447P chip. The ONLY place I can find these is at H&R Enterprises. Unfortuneately they have a $100 minimum order so I'd have to pick up 10 of the chips at $10 each. I don't have any other IC's I'm in need of at the moment, so I'm trying to avoid purchasing there.

Next I looked at Zarlink's series of products, the MT88E series to be specific. These chips are only sold through Avnet....and Avnet has a minimum order of 630 for the through-hole chips (surface mount does me no good).

I looked at Holtek. They have the HT9032 chips but I can't find anyone with them using findchips.com. The rest of their chips are all-in-one style of solutions....which is above and beyond what I need (and too pricy).

I also looked up:

Texas Instruments MSP58C81X and MSP58C83X
Consumer Microelectronics Limited FX602 series and MX602 series. Neither is available in a DIP package that I can tell, and the MX602 is with H&R so I run into the $100 order thing again.

If anyone out there knows of a good caller-id chip that is available in a DIP package (not surface mount) I would really appreciate the info. If not I suppose I'll have to pick up the Motorola chips from H&R, or switch the project to an all-in-one microcontroller.

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2006-07-12 16:52
    Will -

Try Electronic Goldmine, as they used to have oodles of them. I've no idea what their present stock is, or if they even carry them any more.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-07-12 18:08
    Actually the Parallax SX-28 will do the job if you use the software from The SX List website's examples.· Try the Virtual Peripherals at http://www.sxlist.com

And it can do much more....
    It can be a telephone dialer.
    It can be a modem.
    It can be a touchtone decoder.

It is all done in software with the same SX-28. You can either buy lots of bit of hardward or learn to program the functions into one or two very useful SX-Parallax chips.

This also eliminates searching for all those exotic PDFs on a chip by chip basis.

Admitably, you have to buy an SX-Key to start out with, but after that the chips are about $3.00usd and you can change the firmware as you arrive at new priorities.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 7/12/2006 6:15:03 PM GMT
  • Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
    edited 2006-07-12 19:59
    I also needed the Caller ID chip but couldn't find them so ended up buying a Cermetek modem with Caller ID.

I'll take one of the chips if you can find 8 more people tongue.gif

Kenny
  • PHM102PHM102 Posts: 27
    edited 2006-07-13 07:59
    if i still remember, i do have the caller id chip.. but need to search where is the packet of caller id chip. however how can i pass it to you guys?
    edited 2006-07-13 09:52
    Kenneth Gardner is right about the CID modem being about the easiest way to jump into this.· Everything is there [noparse][[/noparse]and a bit more].

If you have to build,l I have located the code to program the SX-28 to do caller ID and I am working on getting a good schematic.

How do you want to interface with this? RS-232? 9600baud with or without handshaking
    This is a Bell 202 modem configuration as well.· CID in Canada is not the same as the U.S.A.· You need to buy a localized chip or use this one to program accordingly.

So your location is an important bit of information.

The Ring Tone program is separate from the CID.· If you want to have both features [noparse][[/noparse]similar to the Motorala chip] it is a matter of combining the two software programs.· It can be done.· The Bell 202 modem is recieve only.

If someone can taylor this code to your needs, as I said before a single chip is $3USD. Try the SX forum or the Sandbox forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "If you want more fiber, eat the package.· Not enough?· Eat the manual."········
    ···················· Tropical regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 7/13/2006 1:29:04 PM GMT
  • WillWhiteWillWhite Posts: 15
    edited 2006-07-14 13:03
    Kramer -> I'll look into the SX chip, I'm a little iffy on it since it really seems to be more of a production style of chip instead of a "hobbiest" prototype style of chip. I could be looking in the wrong place, but I only saw 2 of the chips that are non-surface mount (DIP). Also I'm not sure that they'd fit into my professional development board as the page for the chip mentions using a SX Tech board, but makes no mention of the PDB. There is a package that includes the PDB though....I'll read up on it and see what I can figure out, and I'll definately keep it in mind.

Currently what I'm using is a Ceremetek Data Access Arrangement as the "modem" of sorts. The system doesn't send or recieve data, it simply listens to the Serial connection on the Voice Mail system, when a certain number is called (x1111) it collects the data on the call (calling number is what it needs here) then listens on the "ring" pin of the DAA. When it recieves a signal on that pin, it takes the line off-hook and sends commands to a Quadravox speach module to read back the phone number. I have additional functions for it in the future, but I have to play with it only when I have time so that's about all it does now.

This device is mainly used for our technicians so they can ID phone lines from the test points easier. The problem is that the voicemail introduces a 5 second delay as it processes the call. If I can steal the caller-id information I can read back the number MUCH quicker and it will make the techs alot happier.

My location is NY, USA. If you'd be willing to send along that code I'd really appreciate it. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

PHM102 -> If you have a spare you'd be willing to part with, I'd appreciate it. Just let me know.

Kenny -> If only it were that easy. smile.gif Since I work for a state organization I can't do that, otherwise I'd buy the 10 and put them on e-bay at $15 each to cover the costs and trouble, and maybe even pay for the chip I use out of it. Government won't let me do that though because of potential for abuse. Of course, if you'd like to do it I'll buy one off of you. smile.gif

I'm considering purchasing an external modem with caller ID on it and interfacing to it via Serial.....I'm not sure though. It's a $60 solution for which I'll only be using $10 of functionality. Plus then I can't put it all together and in a neat case very easily. Aah, the joys of creating more trouble for yourself then you really need to.

turn.gif
    edited 2006-07-16 15:55
    The SX-28 is still in a 28 DIP package. You would have a lot of unused pins, but that is really no problem. They could just be configured not to be used. Alternatively, you might eventually add features depending on the remaining EEPROM and RAM.· It looks as though most of the RAM is used up in a 62byte buffer.

As there is an OP AMP [noparse][[/noparse]a 324] involved in the schematic I located,with OP amps the breadboarding can sometimes get a bit troublesome. It is worth a try.· The Motorola has a companion chip that drives output, but the SX uses a MAX232.

So you want both the CID and Ring sense feature combined.
    I will try to figure out how much programing effort that is. If it is easy, I could easily program a chip for a trial run, but I have Taiwan telephony.

I do have some of the SX18s [noparse][[/noparse]an 18pin DIP]. It has 12 i/o pins available.

In existing software, the output is 9600baud. Would that work with your Quadravox?

The Quadravox RS-232 interface may decide exactly the way to go.· The SX can be programmed to 2400baud and full handshaking.· I am not sure the the other devices can do that.· The Motorola MC145447 appears to be 1200baud, but I am not sure.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Kramer) : 7/16/2006 5:14:49 PM GMT