Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Generic Robotic base — Parallax Forums

Generic Robotic base

StampNut2StampNut2 Posts: 224
edited 2006-07-21 07:13 in Robotics
Thought I would share this tutorial project with you guys, It is a generic robotic base platform that was started one weekend and finished four weekends later. It will have many more add ons when time permits. I will incorporate ping ultrasonic, PIR, digital voice recorder and camera with pan/tilt. Here is the link to the tutorial. The project is using The Parallax Profesional Dev board and HB25 Motor controllers + Blue Bell Design subsumtion board.

http://pruim037.proboards107.com/index.cgi?board=nonww&action=display&thread=1150615368

And a video:

Code can be found here: http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=10&m=130171

If anyone can help me out with inserting the right code for the code above, it would be appreciated. This extra code would be for the PIR, ROAMING PING, + PAN/TILT SERVOS, Also for four GD2P12 analogue distance sensors, as I am not sure where to insert this to opperate the two motors so that they do not collide with walls ect.
Thanks in anticipation.

Hope you like it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Never give up when things go wrong.

Post Edited (StampNut2) : 7/12/2006 6:34:08 AM GMT

Comments

• A.C. fishingA.C. fishing Posts: 262
    edited 2006-07-13 12:17
    a PIR sensor won't work on a moving platform.
    go to drrobot.com to find some good human detection modules that will work

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Somebody said...
    -Never Underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    ·
  • Jim RicheyJim Richey Posts: 82
    edited 2006-07-14 15:41
    Hello Stampnut2

I looked over your platform project and can see you have given it a lot
    of thought and effort.If you can manage to get this far,it should be no problem to learn the code as needed.
    The camera pan and tilt could be achieved with the use of servos.A small camera should direct mount to the servo horn.The code can be found in "What's a Microcontroller",
    chapter 4.Very simple to implement.And the digital voice recorder might be switched on and off with a relay,as directed by your Stamp.

Good luck,nice work so far.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks, Parallax!
  • StampNut2StampNut2 Posts: 224
    edited 2006-07-16 05:47
    Thanks Jim Richey: I know what code to use but do not know where to insert it into the subsumption code same with the GP2D12 distance sensors. I would like it to opperate like the ir pd sensors in conjunction with the motor controll. As I am new to pbasic code this is the hard part for me. [noparse][[/noparse] I am learning though] Also thanks
    ·A.C. fishing: for your comments on the PIR· and will have a look at the site you suggested. Sorry for the late reply Ihave been away for 4 days.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Danny22Danny22 Posts: 29
    edited 2006-07-18 21:08
    I guess that I'm dumber than a brick but, StampNut2,what the heck is a Blue Bell Design subsumption board? What does it do and why would I need one? Also why did A.C. fishing say that Sharp IR sensors can't be used on a mobile platform? Does that mean that I have to get rid of the six IR's that I have and only use the 12 Devantec SRF08's and the 2 TPA81 Thermopile Arrays? I don't get it!

There are only two things in life: fun & death. Let me know when I'm having fun.
    edited 2006-07-19 05:24
    Danny22: A.C. fishing was not refereing to the ir sensors but the PIR sensor which is different. Basicly the subsumption circuit board offloads all the hard work from the BS2P-40 leaving it to do other functions. You can find more info here.
    http://www.bluebelldesign.com/CoP_Bd_kit.htm Hope this helps to understand this board, It's very easy to use. It already has one irpd and bump sensors and can accomadate four A/D inputs such as the GD2P12 Distance sensors and eight servo inputs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Danny22Danny22 Posts: 29
    edited 2006-07-20 20:18
    StampNut2,
    Thanks so much for the info on the Blue Bell board. You are a true gentleman. It sounds neat and I'm going to look into it.
    All the best to you.
    edited 2006-07-21 07:13
    Your welcome Danny22.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔